Wednesday 22 April 2015

This One's For Me

I've been bottling up a whole bunch of feelings lately and I thought it might be time to put pen to paper, or perfectly polished nails to keyboard. But you see, my life really isn't perfect. As bloggers, we often live double lives. The fun, smiley, happy selves that we portray to those that surround us, and while not exactly a lie, the tricky moments, the tears and feelings of uncertainty are left on the sidelines, like a dirty secret we're not yet willing to admit. 

I don't speak for everyone, this really is just about myself, but I'm sure I'm not alone in keeping the crappy parts of my life just below the surface. My unhappiness with my current situation riddles me with me guilt. I know that in many ways, I am incredibly fortunate. I am in good health, I rarely want for anything and in just over four months, I will marry my incredibly wonderful fiance. So what's the catch?

I'll put my hands up. I never wanted to move to Finland. Don't get me wrong, the choice was mine to make and I took it, but deep down, both Scott and I knew that I was making the move for him. I don't resent that choice, I own it, it was mine and I made it. Living in Qatar was wearing thin, I hated my job (or more specifically my superiors) and I needed to break free from the life that was wearing me down. When the opportunity in Finland came knocking, despite my reservations, I felt like we'd regret not jumping at it. For the record, Finland is a beautiful country. Sure, there are parts that I don't love so much, (like the lack of home comforts and the fact that nothing seems to be open past 8pm at any given day of the week) but I've experienced so many wonderful things living here. I've met some great people and I've been fortunate enough to see a part of the world that I would likely have never traveled to in normal circumstances, but for me, my time is up here. I feel it with every breath in the morning, my body aches for a chance to spread my wings outside of the four walls that I spend so much of my time feeling trapped in. Blogging has been my escape from a life that I haven't always loved living. It's always been real and I've never not stayed true to who I am on these pages, but what you don't see is that without this place for myself that I have created, I would have crumbled a long time ago. 

If you've read my About Me page, you will know that I quit my job as a primary school teacher to make the big move. In all honesty, I don't miss it. Teaching is an enriching profession. I can't describe that rush of emotion when a struggling child finally, 'gets it' but it isn't always easy. The work/life balance is non-existent. I'm not going to get into the nitty gritty of why I don't plan on returning to the teaching profession again, but what I will say is that finding out I was unable to teach in Finland, knocked me. What was I going to do with myself? Scott and I moved knowing that this was a possibility and we were both of the understanding that I didn't need to work if I couldn't find the right position. It was then that I buried myself in writing, something that I have always loved to do. It satisfied my need to work at something, focus myself rather than letting unemployment swallow me up in a sweat-pant wearing, T.V. shaped hole. Okay, the sweat pant part is true but I can count on one hand, the amount of times that I have switched the television on before Scott returned home from work. Truthfully, it's kind of lonely. I have no work colleagues to bitch about the photocopying rules with, I have no purpose for waking up in the morning. Sleeping in late starts to feel like a negative thing after a while too. 

We need a change, I need a change.

I need to live in a city that has more than a handful of people living in it. Where I haven't eaten at the four available restaurants more times than I care to recall. Where I don't know the menus off by heart and where I'm not a regular at my local coffee shop. I need to live somewhere where I see the sun for more than 3/4 months of the year. Where I don't have to take daily vitamin D supplements as a medical necessity. I want to live in a city that is full of energy, full of opportunity and full of life. Whilst Finland has taught me so much about appreciating the natural beauty of the world, I'm ready to start living in a world in which I belong. A world where I have a purpose, and a cocktail bar on every street corner. 


Share:

22 comments

  1. I could only imagine how much of an impact it would have on your life moving like that, i hope things work out for you :) i agree blogging is a great escape i feel like that often x
    Emma | Emmys Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Blogging is definitely a huge escape and a welcome distraction sometimes. I'm sure we will work things out soon. x

      Delete
  2. It definitely sounds like the time has come to move on. Have you & your fiance been looking for jobs elsewhere? If the wheels are in motion then waiting however long it takes won't feel so draining. I hope things change for you soon xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we have been job hunting overseas for a few months now. We know where we want to be, we just need to get there! Haha.. Thanks for your supportive comment :) xxx

      Delete
  3. Oh sweet, I hope everything works out for you soon and you can find somewhere happy to live. Keep us updated. xx

    Julie
    www.rainingcake.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. I'm sure we'll get there eventually. xxx

      Delete
  4. You sound like me desribing home sometimes. Don't get be wrong, I love my home but this tiny island can start to feel claustrophobic sometimes. So I totally feel you. The major differences are that my family is here and I do have a day job. I hope that you're able to experience a positive change soon, hun. I'm routing for you! xo

    Beauty Isles | An Island Girl's Beauty and Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimmy. I get the feeling of a place being claustrophobic. All the British people that I know here, work with Scott or are partners of people who work with him. You can't breathe without everyone knowing about it. It's great that you have your family there with you, I'm sure that makes a world of difference. I think we're both just ready for a change of pace and a more exciting environment. You'll be the first to know if anything comes up :) xxx

      Delete
  5. I hope you can find a solution for this situation and you and your soon-to-be husband will find a place to live where both of you will be perfectly happy! x

    Mummy’s Beauty Corner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Dagmara. We're crossing our fingers xxx

      Delete
  6. First and foremost your happiness is important! So do what you need to do in order to achieve that! Good luck and much love ♥ xxx

    Anisha ♥ All You Need Is Red Lipstickl

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel for you (and you might think how since I am living in London) but moving here for me was also my choice but I did it for my partner and it is tough being in a city where you don't know anyone or have no family to count on, etc. I can only imagine how much harder it must be that you are living with all that in a city that lacks energy, fun and life really. Hope you and your fiancee find the best thing for both of you to be happy and decide on what the next best move is x

    Beauty with charm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Alina and I can totally relate to how you feel. Even living in a big city, full of people can feel isolating sometimes. I had moments of missing home and just being around my family and friends when I lived in Qatar. It's not so bad when you have things to do to distract you but right now, we're stuck here, (and stuck in most weekends) because of the serious lack of places to go. I have my fingers crossed that a change is just around the corner. Thanks for your support my dear xxx

      Delete
  8. It's so strange as I would love to live somewhere like Finland, but I guess the reality of it is so different. Also going from Qatar to Finland is like total opposites of the scale. I hope you find somewhere to settle that you love, and until you do just think of the adventures and stories in new countries.

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Hayley. Finland really is a great country and I guess if we lived somewhere like Helsinki, it would be a different story but we're quite far away from 'civilisation' haha.. I didn't realise how spoilt for choice I was in the UK for things like shopping and food, until I moved here. I know it's not the be all and end all but it grates on me sometimes when I can't find simple things that I know I could pick up in a heartbeat at home. xxx

      Delete
  9. Ah I really feel for you.. I so hope you can find somewhere that you'll both be happy. It must be so hard to live in such a small place. I totally understand about your blog being your escape, as it's the same for me for other reasons xx

    Gemma ♥ | Miss Makeup Magpie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gemma. It's great that we both have this outlet. :) xxx

      Delete
  10. I hope you and Scott manage to find a solution which makes you both happy. It may not happen overnight but I hope you find somewhere which feels like a better fit.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kirsty I can completely relate to how you feel and I hope you know that you will get through this! I was in the exact same position as you in my final months there as i was barely at university and i missed my boyfriend/family so much. When you don't speak the language you do become very reserved and Finnish life cannot be compared to life in the UK at all!! The culture shock really is very overwhelming. I don't think i speak for myself when i say that we only ever see the good parts in peoples lives and I think its refreshing to read this, i try to do a few posts like this myself too. I really hope things improve for you and I'm not sure how long you will stay in Finland for but I'm sure new things are on the horizon for you! If you ever want to speak with me on twitter/email about it I'm always here :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicole.. I imagine it must have been much more difficult for you being here without your partner. Thankfully I have Scott here and so it isn't as bad as it could be. You're completely right in the fact that Finnish culture is so different to back home though. In some ways it's great but I do miss the convenience of home and being able to chat to people who actually understand me haha! The wheels are in motion for a change, we're just waiting on hearing back from a few things and what not.. Really appreciate the supportive comment and if I need another rant, I'll be sure to get in touch! ;) xxx

      Delete

© Life in Excess | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig