Wednesday 26 April 2017

Moving On

Moving To Dubai - Life in Excess Blog


Yes, would you believe I'm back with another blog post?

As it stands, we're T-minus 9 days until moving day, (I'm not sure if I've used that phrase correctly but I'm going to run with it) and I'm blighted with a mixed bag of emotions. Let me backtrack. Scott started a new job in Dubai back in January, and for the last four months has been making the 3 hour round commute between Dubai and Abu Dhabi, everyday. It's been a long slog and copious amounts of caffeine have been consumed along the way but moving day is finally around the corner, and with it comes a drastically reduced commute and the fact that we're going to have a whole new city to explore! 

*Does happy dance*

On the flipside, I'm properly gutted to be leaving Abu Dhabi. I may even shed a tear. From the very first time we stepped foot in Abu Dhabi, way back in 2013 just after Scott and I were engaged, I've been head over heels in love with the place and always knew we'd end up living here one day. So now that we are set to leave, part of me wants to dig my heels in and say I'm staying put. I'm not ready. Not because I'm not looking forward to the opportunities and experiences that Dubai will no doubt offer us, but because it will be really hard to walk away from a place that I feel at home in. 

And so here I am feeling all weird about it. If I'd had it my way, I'd have treated the move like ripping off a plaster. Quick and relatively painless. However, the fact that we've had to stay put in our current apartment until our lease expires means that the whole process has been long and drawn out. I've swung between pure excitement to move and nerves over whether we're making the right decision like a contestant on Golden Balls, trying to decide whether to split or steal the prize money.

When it boils down to it, Scott can't continue with his current commute, and a move is the only realistic option we have, and as much as it may not seem it through my negative Nancy waffling on, I am genuinely really looking forward it. I guess I just wanted to vocalise my uncertainty, or rather put it down on paper so to speak and be open about the fact that moving is and will always be a big deal. 

Plus packing... Having lived in four different countries in the past four and a half years, I can't express enough how strongly I detest packing. Thankfully, this time we're hiring a company to do the majority of it for us. Let's see how that pans out. I feel it may be the safest option for our marriage. 

Anyway, I'm very much aware that this post, which I initially intended to be a light-hearted poke at my dog (a story I will need to save for another day) has turned into a bit of an emotional outpouring so I shall promptly crawl back in my shell and, seeing as it's Wednesday and we have Scott's sister and her friends over visiting, indulge myself in ladies night freebie wine and continue to remind myself that Abu Dhabi will always be just a drive away...

Well, unless we move again! 
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Life in Excess | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig