Monday 16 February 2015

Lips - The Nudes


Nude lips are having a moment and even the most reluctant nudists are slowly but surely stripping back the colour and stepping out with some serious, barely-there lip game. I'm one of the converted. For too long I shrugged off the concealer lip trend and shuddered at the memory of a very 90's beige lip/brown liner combo. Thankfully, we've left that particular 'style' well and truly where it belongs, in the past, locked up behind several very large and sturdy doors. The new nude lip smacks of chic and has elbowed its way right to the top of my every day make up routine. 


Here's my current, nude lip stash (from left to right):

♥️ Rimmel Lasting Finish Colour Rush - 710 Drive Me Nude (Feat. here)

♥️ Clinique Chubby Stick - 10 Bountiful Blush (Full Review)

♥️ MAC Matte - Velvet Teddy 

♥️ L'Oreal Collection Exclusive Color Riche - Eva's Nude (Full Review)

♥️ Maybelline Color Sensational - 715 Choco Cream

♥️ Dior Addict - 343 Spring Ball (Full Review)

♥️ Rimmel lasting Finish 1000 Kisses Lip Contouring Pencil - 049 Natural

My top tips for nude lips are:

1. Keep it glossy. A glossy nude lip is definitely easier to wear than a matte shade.

2. If you go matte, keep it darker. I find that a darker matte shade is much more flattering than a pale matte lip which can often border on looking cakey. 

3. Make sure your lips are in tip top condition. Using a lip scrub or clean toothbrush to buff lips before applying your nude of choice makes for a much more even application. 

4. Unless you have the skin tone to pull it off, avoid very pale nude lips. They can completely wash you out and that's very rarely a good look for anyone! 

Are you a fan of the nude lip trend and if so, what shades are you rating? Also, if you have any nude lips top tips, feel free to share them in the comments below. 
Share:

14 comments

  1. I hate very pale nude lipsticks, they make me look dead but the shades you've chosen are right up my street with the Clinique Chubby Stick being my favourite :) x

    Mummy’s Beauty Corner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a fan of the super pale nudes either. They make me look really washed out. Warm is the way to go! I love how easy the Clinique shade is to wear.. no need for a mirror, just whack it on! xxx

      Delete
  2. You've made me want Velvet Teddy even more! It looks sooo gorgeous!
    xprincessjas | ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you manage to get your hands on it soon :) xxx

      Delete
  3. I need to find the perfect shade asap, Revlon have some pretty good shades! x

    Hannah x | hannatalks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely think it's worth starting with cheaper products first to find what tones suit you and then taking it from there. There's no point splashing out on an expensive lippy that isn't going to suit you. xxx

      Delete
  4. I love nude lips but I just don't suit them at all! They are some beautiful colours though x

    Through New Eyes x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to feel the same way but I really think the key is finding the correct shade to suit your complexion. I find the darker, warmer nudes work much better for me xxx

      Delete
  5. I think this is the nicest selection of nudes ever! They are all so lovely, especially Velvet Teddy.

    alice x | beautybyalicee | Bloglovin' | YouTube

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you darling! I have such a baby selection compared to some but I really love the choice of shades that I have. Velvet Teddy is a stunner! xxx

      Delete
  6. I really love the the shades you've chosen! Especially the Rimmel ones look great in my opinion.
    I only own Velvet Teddy out of these and I really love the colour but I'm still not sure if I can pull it off. Maybe it's just that I'm not so used to wearing that strong dark matte lip yet :)x

    Anu | My life as Anu | bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anu. I was nervous about Velvet Teddy not suiting me at first but I actually really love it. It might be worth layering it with other lipsticks/glosses to work it into a shade you're more comfortable with. It can be hard to get used to a nude lip when you usually wear something much different xxx

      Delete
  7. Love the look of the Rimmel crayon and Mac Velvet Teddy. Tried to buy it a while ago but couldn't find it anywhere. Maybe one day... :) x

    Renata | Speaking Beauty UK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried for several weeks to get my hands on Velvet Teddy.. They often have it online but I ended up getting mine from the counter in Helsinki. I had a similar experience with Mehr. It's taken me forever to get hold of that one but it's finally mine! xxx

      Delete

© Life in Excess | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig