Friday 15 January 2016

Makeup Geek Vs Inglot

It's no secret, I'm a pretty big fan of Inglot's Freedom System, pan eye shadows.

They're relatively inexpensive at £5 a pop, you get a lot of product for your pennies and the shade range is enormous. Inglot and I had a pretty steady run right up until a new kid arrived on the block. 

Makeup Geek.

Makeup Geek Vs Inglot Eye Shadows Swatches and Review
Makeup Geek Vs Inglot Eye Shadows Swatches and Review

Despite my love for Inglot, I wanted see if there was substance to the buzz that was surrounding the Makeup Geek eye shadows. Would they live up to the hype?

I wont bog you down with details. You can check out my full review, along with swatches by visiting my previous Makeup Geek post. (Spoiler alert - I get a bit gushy!)

Today, I'm going to be looking at which eye shadows are better, Inglot's or Makeup Geek's. 

Pigmentation

- Now, this is a tricky one. Undoubtedly, both brands are super pigmented. I think Makeup Geek just pip Inglot on the matte shades but it's an extremely close call when it comes to their shimmer formulas. I haven't tried any of the Makeup Geek foiled shadows, (although I do have some on order) so I can't compare those, but their original line are very much on a par with Inglot's AMC Shine shadows. 

Winner - Makeup Geek, purely because their matte shadows are more pigmented but it's a tie for their shimmer shades.

Blendability 

- Both shadows blend out beautifully. Makeup Geek shadows are very soft and tend to pick up more on my brushes, meaning that more product is applied to the skin. As a result, the blending process takes a smidge longer. 

Winner - It's a tie, although due to the fact that Inglot shadows apply a touch more subtly, they are easier to blend without the risk of applying too much product. 

Longevity

 - Without a primer, both Makeup Geek and Inglot shadows last several hours on the lids with minimal to no creasing or fading. 

Winner - Again, it's a tie!

Shade Range 

- Whilst I feel like Makeup Geek have a great shade selection when it comes to their eye shadows, you get a much wider choice with Inglot. There are literally hundreds of Inglot shadows to choose from, with pretty much every colour you could ever wish for and a varying selection of finishes. 

Winner - Inglot. If you're after a specific shade, I can guarantee that Inglot will have it. 

Price 

- In the US, Makeup Geek original line eye shadows retail for $6 a piece. £4.95 per pan if you are ordering from Beauty Bay. The pans hold 1.8g of product. In the UK, Inglot eye shadows retail at £5 per pan for 2.7 - 3.2g of product, depending on the particular finish. You get better value for money, per gram with Inglot. 

Winner - Inglot.

So which brand is my overall winner?

Can I say that I don't want to choose?

Yes, Inglot really are a great brand and I would recommend them to anyone and everyone who hasn't tried them, but I really do have a soft spot for Makeup Geek too. Both brands are such value for money and offer a fantastic product at an affordable price. 

In fact, I went and placed another order with Makeup Geek last week. Is there a limit as to how many eye shadows are too many eye shadows?

If you're looking for a brand with a huge selection of shades, a tonne of product for your money and easy availability in the UK, I would put my money on Inglot. 

Finally, I'll leave you with a couple of comparison swatches. I was convinced I would have more duped shades across my collection but these are the only ones that are slightly similar. 

Inglot 452 & Makeup Geek Burlesque Dupe Swatches
Left - Inglot shade 452 // Right - Makeup Geek Burlesque

Inglot 414 & Makeup Geek Envy Swatches
These look really similar in the pan but swatch completely different! 
Left - Inglot Shade 414 // Right - Makeup Geek Envy

Let me know your thoughts on Makeup Geek and Inglot. Have you tried any products from either of the brands?
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Life in Excess | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig