Monday 3 October 2016

Trying Kat Von D Beauty


Earlier this year, I leveled up on my Sephora card and as I result, I received a voucher to claim my free gift - which at the time was a choice between a Benefit mascara/primer set and a Sephora brow gel/nail polish/eye shadow set. 

So I did what any other self-respecting, beauty-lover would, and waited 'til something better came along...

And it did. As soon as I saw that the free gift had changed to a Kat Von D sample set, I rushed into Sephora and swiped one up. 

Kat Von D Beauty Review, Everlasting Liquid Lipstick in Lolita, Studded Kiss Lipstick in Underage Red, Tattoo Liner
Kat Von D Beauty Review, Everlasting Liquid Lipstick in Lolita, Studded Kiss Lipstick in Underage Red, Tattoo Liner

Kat Von D Beauty Review, Everlasting Liquid Lipstick in Lolita, Studded Kiss Lipstick in Underage Red, Tattoo Liner

The set includes a full-size Kat Von D Tattoo Liner in the shade Trooper, a miniature Everlasting Liquid Lipstick in the infamous Lolita and a sample-size Studded Kiss Lipstick in Underage Red. Naturally, I was dying to try them all out as I had considered buying all of these at some stage or another. 

Let's get the disappointment out of the way first. I really wasn't blown away by the Tattoo Liner. I like how it applied and I found the nib to make carving out a wing dead simple, but the product could have been blacker for my liking and it didn't wear as well as I'd hoped. I applied this in the afternoon and by the evening there was considerable fading - a problem I never encounter with my trusted Bobbi Brown Gel Liner

I'd still use the Tattoo Liner for shorter periods, but I certainly wouldn't go parting with cash for a replacement. I feel it's perhaps a touch overhyped and my advice would be to spend your money elsewhere.

As for Lolita, I know this is a shade that everyone seems to love and so I had high expectations. I was surprised to find the formula a little thinner than anticipated. Not a bad thing, just something that I noticed. You do need to apply at least two coats to get the full effect and the colour is a warm, rosy nude. It isn't too dissimilar to my own lip shade - one coat is a pretty close match whilst two deepens my natural colour. I really like the formula of this liquid lipstick. It wears well and whilst, yes, it is drying, it isn't as bad as some others I've tried. As for the shade itself, it's nice but I don't love it. I doubt it'll be one that I'm reaching for regularly but I'm definitely keen to try other shades from the Everlasting Liquid Lipstick range. 

Finally, onto the Studded Kiss Lipstick in Underage Red - Hate the controversial name but I absolutely adore the packaging. I think Kat Von D totally nailed it with the quirky, studded design. The shade itself is as beautiful a red as I've ever seen, a bright, vibrant crimson shade that really stands out. 

In terms of how it wears and applies, the formula is quite dry and stiff in consistency. It drags over the skin rather than glides and takes a little bit of work to get a neat finish. It's also very drying - it literally feels like the moisture is being sucked out of my lips, leaving them feeling wrinkled and cracked. I'd highly suggest using an oil or balm before applying this and avoid at all costs if you have dehydrated, flakey lips. It is long-lasting though, and if you can put up with the discomfort, it really is a stunning lipstick. 

Kat Von D Beauty Review, Everlasting Liquid Lipstick in Lolita, Studded Kiss Lipstick in Underage Red, Tattoo Liner

Have you tried anything from the Kat Von D Beauty range? What are your thoughts on the products mentioned here - would you give any of them a go? 

Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Life in Excess | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig