Friday 7 October 2016

A Gloss For Autumn?


I've never had a Pumpkin Spice Latte. There, I said it. 

I'm not really sure how I feel about pumpkins. I mean, I'm happy to carve one up and stick a candle in it but pumpkin 'foods' have never really done it for me. You know what I mean?

Anyway, this post is about lipgloss and has zero to do with pumpkins - except that it's berry-toned which is pretty synonymous with pumpkin season... or Autumn... or whatever.

Shall we crack on?

Feast your eyes on the Chanel Lèvres Scintillantes Glossimer in 176 Crushed Cherry

Chanel Glossimer 176 Crushed Cherry Review & Swatches

Right off the bat, I'm going to say that I was pleasantly surprised by every bit of this lipgloss. I've always steered well clear of a dark gloss, mostly due to fear of looking like I'd spent my day sucking on a stick of liquorice. Would a dark gloss be at all flattering or end up a hot mess at first ill thought out hair flick?

I'd have never picked this shade out for myself so when I received it as a Christmas present last year, I couldn't wait to find out how it performed - I mean, when it comes to Chanel, expectations are going to be high. 

The gloss itself feels very thick when applying and I immediately felt the dread creep in that it would translate as sticky and gloopy on the lips, however, it does neither. It is in fact very easy to wear. Not only because it seems to melt and thin out a little after application, but also because the rich berry shade is very flattering and invokes many happy, Autumnal feels.

Chanel Glossimer 176 Crushed Cherry Review & Swatches

It's easy to forget you're wearing this gloss as it offers a slip to the lips without feeling tacky, heavy or like it's going to migrate outwards and break free onto your cheeks. It also dries down to a beautiful pinky/purple stain after a few hours so you need not worry about reapplication. 

One thing I will say is that this gloss requires a little more effort and patience during the application process and if you want a really clean, sharp finish, using a lip liner beforehand is the way to go. That being said, I really love this gloss. If you want to embrace the berry trend this Autumn but recoil at the thought of a matte lipstick sucking every last drop of moisture out of your dry, cracked lips - this one's for you. It's definitely opened my eyes to the notion that not all glosses have to be sugary pink. 

What are your thoughts on darker lip gloss? Would you consider wearing a shade like this for Autumn? Let me know what you think.

Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Life in Excess | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig