Monday 12 September 2016

Huda Beauty Lip Contour & Liquid Matte Lipstick Review


I was pretty sure I wasn't interested/excited about the Huda Beauty releases until I walked into a crowded Sephora and saw grown women clambering over one another for lipstick. Naturally, I decided I needed to see what the fuss was all about and panic-grabbed these three items:

Huda Beauty Lip Contour & Liquid Matte Lipstick Review

Huda Beauty Lip Contour & Liquid Matte Lipstick Review
Huda Beauty Lip Contour & Liquid Matte Lipstick Review
Huda Beauty Lip Contour & Liquid Matte Lipstick Review

Huda Beauty Lip Contour in Trophy Wife - I believe this is one of the more popular shades in her lip liner collection and, as a result, I scooped it up in both the liner and the liquid lipstick form. It's a warm, rose/brown shade that dries down to a matte finish. The formula is very soft and creamy, easy to apply and comfortable to wear. I've been rocking it solo with a lighter lipstick dabbed onto the center portion of my lips. 

Huda Beauty Liquid Matte Lipstick in Trophy Wife and Venus - Trophy Wife is pretty much identical, in terms of colour, to the liner, whilst Venus is a warm, brown-toned nude. I was initially hesitant about Venus as I can often struggle to pull off a warmer, orangey nude but it actually translates as a very natural, flattering shade on me.

Huda Beauty Lip Contour & Liquid Matte Lipstick Review & Swatches

So, onto how they perform - and this is where the difficulty lies.

On my Snapchat, I declared that I was on the fence about these lipsticks, and here's why. I expected them to be better. 

I do feel a pang of guilt writing that because I actually think these are a really good product. They are quite a bit thinner than I anticipated. I don't dislike the consistency but it does mean it can be tricky to get a neat finish if you don't have a steady hand. They have good pigmentation, apply evenly and have a sweet, vanilla scent which may not be for everyone, but I personally really like. My issue lies in the fact that they are by no means a long-lasting lip product. After a glass of wine and a quick lunch, (yes, don't judge!) I find myself needing to touch up. I like a liquid lipstick to be bullet-proof. I tend to wear them when I know I don't want to worry about re application - at brunch, for example, when I'm too busy stuffing my face with mashed potatoes and marshmallows to care about what my face looks like.  

They aren't smudge-proof either. *Sigh*

But... and it's a but as big as mine, post Christmas Dinner...

They are THE most comfortable liquid lipsticks I have ever tried and therein lies my dilemma. Do I want to sacrifice staying power for a liquid matte that's so comfortable, it's easy to forget you're even wearing it?

The answer is... I'm 99% sure I'll buy more. 

Have you tried anything from the Huda Beauty range? What do you think of the products mentioned above?
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Life in Excess | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig