Wednesday 10 February 2016

The Perfect Matte Red Lip?


I don't know about you, but I'm quite partial to a red lip. 

Nude lips are always my go-to when I'm feeling lazy or not wanting to make a huge effort but whenever I'm looking to inject some glam/two dollar hooker into my appearance, I always find myself reaching for a bold red. 

Charlotte Tilbury Red Carpet Red Lipstick Review and Swatches

Thanks to a recent birthday and the fact that Scott's family are fully supportive of my make up addiction, I finally got my hands on some Charlotte Tilbury - and it was a long time coming!

The Matte Revolution Lipstick in the shade Red Carpet Red is my first Charlotte Tilbury lip product, and what a beauty it is. It's a true red, well-balanced and suited to most skin tones. I typically find orange-toned or slightly pinker reds less flattering on me but this is the perfect fit. It has a very subtle 'frost' to it - tiny shimmery pigments that don't translate to the lips as such, but apparently give lips a plumper, more 3-dimensional appearance. It's stunning.

Despite being a matte finish, the formula isn't overly drying nor is it uncomfortable to wear. It's lightweight and you'd be forgiven for forgetting that it's there. It's not the creamiest lipstick that I own and it drags slightly on the lips when applied, but it's very pigmented - a swipe or two is all you need to last you a good 5 or 6 hours. 

So the packaging. Although the shape of the bullet is quite popular, I would have preferred the more standard shape. I find it a slightly awkward to use. I'm in two minds about the packaging too - whilst yes, it has an ever popular rose gold tube and fancy engraving, it does take me back to my grandma's dressing table and the ornate gold tubes of lipstick that I'd spend my youth playing with. It photographs beautifully but errs ever so slightly on looking dated. Cue collective gasps across the beauty blogging community. 

That aside, I love this lipstick. It's one of those classic shades that everybody should hold in their collection and I'd recommend it to those who are looking for a higher-end, achingly-beautiful red lip. 

Charlotte Tilbury Red Carpet Red Lipstick Review and Swatches

Have you tried any of the Charlotte Tilbury lipsticks? Do you typically like a matte finish or something creamier? What's your all-time favourite red lipstick? 
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Life in Excess | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig