Tuesday 19 May 2015

Shopping Rimmel

You may have caught my May Beauty Haul last week, giving you a sneak peek at the beauty bits I picked up whilst back in the UK. Today, I'm going to be showing you what I picked up from the Rimmel stand - two Exaggerate Waterproof Eye Definer pencils and the new (ish) Brow This Way Brow Sculpting Kit. I'd heard whispers of the brow kit a little while back and took full advantage of a Boots 3 for 2 offer to snap it up for review. 

Rimmel Brow This Way review, Rimmel Exaggerate Eye Liner review, Rimmel review, Rimmel haul review swatches, Rimmel swatches, Rimmel eye liner swatches, Rimmel brow kit review

Rimmel Brow This Way review, Rimmel Exaggerate Eye Liner review, Rimmel review, Rimmel haul review swatches, Rimmel swatches, Rimmel eye liner swatches, Rimmel brow kit review

I opted for the darkest shade available in the Brow This Way Kit - Dark Brown, (which is only one of two shades that appear to be available with this product.) It did surprise me that Rimmel don't seem to have catered for lighter-haired lovelies with this release but I'm guessing more shades will pop up on the shelves in time. 

The kit consists of a sculpting wax to shape and fix the brows, a lightweight powder, a double-ended (oo-er) angled brush and a spoolie. Given the teeny tiny size of this kit, the tools are pretty minuscule and, in my opinion, too damn fiddly to use. A slightly bigger kit and brushes or no brushes at all would have been the way to go with this. As it stands, they're just taking up space; although I guess you could use them for traveling - at a push.

Anyhoo, focusing on the product itself, the wax is a pretty good colour-match for my brows. It appears darker in the pan but applies a little lighter. The texture is somewhat hard and you have to dig around to pick up a bit of product but it does mean that you don't apply more than you need. The idea is that you then use the powder after the wax to. 'set' the brows which seems a little backwards to me. In truth, I haven't used the powder much. It's ever so slightly off in tone for my complexion, we're talking a fraction of a shade different than the wax; but enough that it doesn't suit me. Instead of the powder, I've been pairing the wax with my Makeup Revolution Ultra Brow and Arch Shape pencil, filling in my brows with the pencil and using the wax to neaten things up. I set my brows using the Maybelline Brow Drama Brow Sculpting Mascara

Here's how it looks:

Rimmel Brow This Way review, Rimmel Exaggerate Eye Liner review, Rimmel review, Rimmel haul review swatches, Rimmel swatches, Rimmel eye liner swatches, Rimmel brow kit review

The smeariness of the end of my brows looks like a bad photoshop, but I can assure you I haven't re-touched this photo at all. I find things get a bit smeary where there are fewer brow hairs as the wax doesn't have much to cling to. For a drugstore brow kit, the Rimmel Brow This Way isn't a bad offering. It's also a steal at £3.99! I already have my heart set on the MAC Fluidline Brow Gelcreme (tried it and lurrrve it, I just need to find somewhere to buy it from) but this is a nice, little addition to the budget buys club.

Rimmel Brow This Way review, Rimmel Exaggerate Eye Liner review, Rimmel review, Rimmel haul review swatches, Rimmel swatches, Rimmel eye liner swatches, Rimmel brow kit review

Next up in the liners, we have the shades 240, Aqua Sparkle and 261, Noir. I'll fire right in with swatches:

Rimmel Brow This Way review, Rimmel Exaggerate Eye Liner review, Rimmel review, Rimmel haul review swatches, Rimmel swatches, Rimmel eye liner swatches, Rimmel brow kit review

That turquoisey blue is seriously stunning. However, (and it's a big however) the formula isn't a patch on the Scandaleyes liners I reviewed a while back, They are so soft they sort of crumble in use. You can see it partially in the swatches. Used on my lash line, these create so many small flecks of colour that clump in my lashes and settle against my skin it's an absolute mare. I can get these to work if I go in and neaten up with a cotton bud, but who really has time for that?

Rimmel claim that these liners have a waterproof formula that lasts up to 10 hours. I didn't wear them that long before washing them off, but with both liners, I've had a good 6ish hours of wear with minimal fading. The pencil is retractable which is a huge bonus as I hate sharpening liners - first world problems, but it's not enough to make me love these. 

In a nutshell, a disappointing product for me. Whilst I love the pigmentation and the blue colour, I'd 100% stick to the Scandaleyes collection if you're in the market for a Rimmel liner. 

What are your thoughts on any of the products I mentioned today? Is there anything from Rimmel that you're currently rating/lusting after? 
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Life in Excess | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig