Tuesday 9 June 2015

Bare Minerals Complexion Rescue - Worth The Hype?

I've put off writing this review post for a week or so because I just wasn't sure of my feelings towards the Complexion Rescue. Even now, I feel like this won't be a definitive review. 

I added the tinted gel cream to my May Beauty Wish List after reading literally hundreds of positive reviews about it. Full of promise, I scooped it up on a recent trip to Helsinki, (I went for the shade Natural) and couldn't wait to get home and slather it all over my face. 

Bare Minerals Complexion Rescue, Bare Minerals Complexion Rescue review, Complexion Rescue review, Complexion Rescue negative review, Complexion Rescue bad review, worth the hype

The first time I used it, I expected to feel something. You know, that happy feeling you get when you try a new product that you love? Only the tingles weren't there. The product blended really well into my skin and although Natural is probably a smidge darker than my natural skin tone, I think it will match perfectly as my face develops a Summer glow. 

So what's wrong with it then?

Oh, I wish I could put my finger on it. I think I went into this expecting miracles and was sadly left feeling a tad deflated. The formula is described as a gel cream and that makes sense. It's a lightweight, tinted moisturiser type product, but in all honesty, doesn't really make a whole load of difference to my skin's appearance. Sure, it gives me a really subtle hint of colour, but for 45 Euros a bottle, I was left feeling shortchanged. 

I expected the formula to be sheer so it wasn't a deal breaker, but I had issues with the way this sat on my skin too. The first mistake that I made was that I applied this after moisturising. A big no no. My skin naturally falls on the dry side but pairing the Complexion rescue with a moisturiser beforehand left me with a sheen that was no doubt visible from space. Scott even commented that I looked sweaty. Trying again, I stripped back and applied this onto totally bare skin. The results were definitely better; although I find applying any powder-based products on top is another big no no. They proved almost impossible to blend and basically just looked crap. Stick with similar gels and creams. 

The one thing that really lets me down with this product though is the scent. I think it's supposed to be unscented but it has a real, plasticy/waxy odour to it that I can smell for at least a good half hour after applying. It's off-putting. I always view products as a, 'whole experience' and even if this worked miracles, the scent would make me think twice about repurchasing. 

It's not all bad though. The Complexion Rescue has added SPF 30 which is great news for Summer. I never wear less than an SPF 30 on my face in the warmer months so I will probably just use this as a glorified sun cream during the day, if it doesn't slip all over my face that is, which I have a niggling feeling it will. Bare Minerals do carry a great shade range in the Complexion Rescue so I'm sure there's something for everyone. The packaging deserves a special mention too. I love the gold and black - it looks uber chic sitting on my dressing table. 

I should point out, I've applied the Complexion Rescue using both my fingers and my Sigma Flat Top Kabuki brush. I prefer using my fingers but let me know if there's a better way I can apply this. I read reviews that suggested you didn't need the matching Bare Minerals face brush for this product, so I'm hoping that this isn't why I've failed to warm to it. 

Would I recommend this product to a friend, probably not. Would I repurchase? Definitely not. Is it worth the hype? I'm really not sure. It may work wonders on some people but for me, I honestly wasn't blown away.

Have you tried the Bare Minerals Complexion Rescue? What are your thoughts?

Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Life in Excess | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig