Monday 2 November 2015

NYX Cosmetics

My name is Kirsty and I'm a NYX noob. 

There, I said it.

It wasn't until I accidentally stumbled across a counter the other week, that I realised living in Abu Dhabi opened up of whole world of NYX possibilities. So I took to the Interweb, pen in hand, and started noting down everything that I needed. 

...and then off I trotted to the counter again, walking away with this lot.  

NYX Cosmetics Review and Swatches
NYX Cosmetics Soft Matte Lip Creams Review and Swatches
NYX Soft Matte Lip Creams Review and Swatches
NYX Cosmetics Brow Pencil

The first thing I knew I needed was the Soft Matte Lip Creams. I'd already put in a large amount of Pinterest-stalking for swatches but when Laura confirmed that I needed them via Twitter, into my basket they went. 

I opted for a mix of nudey-pinks and a red. I'll let the swatches do the talking. 

NYX Cosmetics Soft Matte Lip Cream Swatches and Review

From left to right we have: Buenos Aires, Stockholm, Ibiza and Monte Carlo

Without a doubt, Ibiza is my favourite. I'm awkward with pinks and usually avoid brighter, Barbie-esque shades, but this is a happy medium, falling somewhere in between dusty rose and a hot pink. I love it. 
Stockholm is also a very wearable nude. It has just enough 'pink' to it that it doesn't fall flat on my face. 

The issue I have with these is that the quality doesn't seem to be consistent through the shades. Ibiza and Stockholm are fantastic. Monte Carlo is pretty good too, whilst Buenos Aires is a total diva to work with. The 'just a hint' of coral, baby pink is really pretty, but it takes effort. 

What really impressed me though, was the longevity of these liquid lipsticks. As a matte formula, they aren't the most comfortable to wear, but that's just my opinion on matte lipsticks in general. The staying power though is spot on. Everything was intact, well after devouring a McDonald's and a Jamba Juice. Plus, you don't need to scrub ten layers of skin off your lips to remove your lipstick at the end of the day. 

Winner.

I've paired a couple of the Soft Matte Lip Creams with these Lip Liner Pencils.

NYX Cosmetics Lip Liners Swatches and Review

From left to right we have; Plush Red, Dolly Pink, Bloom and Mahogany. Far right - Brow Pencil in Chocolate

These ended up in my bag sort of impulsively, but they're actually really great. They're creamy, easy to apply and the colour payoff is pretty good. 

I always feel like lip liners are a boring, but necessary purchase. I'll definitely be picking more of these up though. 

Finally, I went and bought a Micro Brow Pencil in the Chocolate shade. The testers were all over the place at the counter I visited so I bought blind-ish with this. The colour is slightly off and I would have preferred something a touch darker but that aside, this is a great product for someone looking for an affordable brow pencil. 

The mechanical pencil has a generous spoolie on one end and a tiny wind up/down nib at the other. My only niggle is that the twist mechanism is pretty loose and it feels rattly to hold. Yes, that's the very definition of a first world problem right there. 

So there you have it guys. My first dip into the NYX pond. What are your thoughts on the products that I picked up and/or do you have any favourite NYX products that you think I should try?  
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Life in Excess | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig