Tuesday 7 April 2015

Easter Cakes and Ice

I'm back after a long and relaxing Easter break! If you caught my unusually titled post - Coriander, you will have read that Scott and I spent the hols in a cabin by Lake Paijanne in Padasjoki, just a couple of hours north (ish) of where we live. Funnily enough, it's the place where we spent our last Easter together in Finland; however there was a little more ice on the ground, or should I say lake; this year.


We arrived around mid-afternoon on Friday, dumping our bags and almost immediately firing up the BBQ. Yes, the icy lake and freezing temperatures weren't going to deter us. After layering myself up with almost all of the clothes that I had packed for the weekend, I was ready to sit outside with a glass of vino and enjoy the view. 

lake Paijanne, Padasjoki, Villa Paapuuri, Kiuasniemi Villas, lake, water, Finland, Finnish sauna

lake Paijanne, Padasjoki, Villa Paapuuri, Kiuasniemi Villas, lake, water, Finland, Finnish sauna

lake Paijanne, Padasjoki, Villa Paapuuri, Kiuasniemi Villas, lake, water, Finland, Finnish sauna

lake Paijanne, Padasjoki, Villa Paapuuri, Kiuasniemi Villas, lake, water, Finland, Finnish sauna

lake Paijanne, Padasjoki, Villa Paapuuri, Kiuasniemi Villas, lake, water, Finland, Finnish sauna

Despite being grey and gloomy, the surroundings still gave me that inner fuzzy feeling and reminded me why Scott and I love this place so much. It's probably one of the most peaceful places I have ever visited. I think we saw one other car the entire time that we were there and the only noises were the birds and a couple of very brave ice fishermen who took to the nearly thawed out lake to try their luck. 

lake Paijanne, Padasjoki, Villa Paapuuri, Kiuasniemi Villas, lake, water, Finland, Finnish sauna
 
lake Paijanne, Padasjoki, Villa Paapuuri, Kiuasniemi Villas, lake, water, Finland, Finnish sauna, fire

Just before my fingers were about to fall off, Scott summoned his inner cave man and lit us a roaring fire down on the water's edge where we sat drinking Lonkero until the last of the light had all but gone. 

lake Paijanne, Padasjoki, Villa Paapuuri, Kiuasniemi Villas, lake, water, Finland, Finnish sauna

We slept in late on Saturday morning and kick started our lazy day with a Finnish sauna. I was hoping to fully dip in the lake as I had chickened out last year; however I didn't fancy having to break through the ice, so made do with sitting on the rear deck to cool off. 

After lunch, (technically breakfast) we whipped out the chocolate and set about making ourselves some Easter treats. 

lake Paijanne, Padasjoki, Villa Paapuuri, Kiuasniemi Villas, lake, water, Finland, Finnish sauna, Easter, chocolate

lake Paijanne, Padasjoki, Villa Paapuuri, Kiuasniemi Villas, lake, water, Finland, Finnish sauna, easter, chocolate, cakes

Classic Easter Krispy cakes are pretty hard to beat! 

Once we had demolished our body weight in chocolate, we jumped in the car and set about driving through the beautiful National Park to do a spot of, 'sight seeing.' I was secretly hoping we would see elk; although I pretty much wish for this every time we drive through anywhere with trees. 

Finland, small shed, Finnish, National Park

Finland National Park, Finland, House, red house, country side, red country house Finland

After a fairly short drive, we ended up at Karisalmi bridge, a 175 meter long suspension bridge that connects some of the islands on Lake Paijanne. 

Lake Paijanne, Karisalmi Bridge Lake Paijanne, Karisalmi Bridge, Karisalmi, Lake Paijanne bridge, Finland, Karisalmi bridge Finland, Finnish sights

Lake Paijanne, Karisalmi Bridge Lake Paijanne, Karisalmi Bridge, Karisalmi, Lake Paijanne bridge, Finland, Karisalmi bridge Finland, Finnish sights

Lake Paijanne, Karisalmi Bridge Lake Paijanne, Karisalmi Bridge, Karisalmi, Lake Paijanne bridge, Finland, Karisalmi bridge Finland, Finnish sights

We pulled into a small, road-side parking spot and jumped out of the car to explore. Even with my thick, woolly gloves on, my hands were trembling taking snaps. I imagine this place would be amazing in the Summertime. 

Lake Paijanne, Karisalmi Bridge Lake Paijanne, Karisalmi Bridge, Karisalmi, Lake Paijanne bridge, Finland, Karisalmi bridge Finland, Finnish sights

Lake Paijanne, Karisalmi Bridge Lake Paijanne, Karisalmi Bridge, Karisalmi, Lake Paijanne bridge, Finland, Karisalmi bridge Finland, Finnish sights

Lake Paijanne, Karisalmi Bridge Lake Paijanne, Karisalmi Bridge, Karisalmi, Lake Paijanne bridge, Finland, Karisalmi bridge Finland, Finnish sights

Lake Paijanne, Karisalmi Bridge Lake Paijanne, Karisalmi Bridge, Karisalmi, Lake Paijanne bridge, Finland, Karisalmi bridge Finland, Finnish sights

We headed home to warm up in front of the fire, (and to eat more chocolate of course!) 

Sunday's script was very much the same. A late breakfast/early lunch, several cups of tea and a relaxing sauna to start the day. Scott was feeling a little tender from the night's drinking before, so we took it easy before hitting the road home in the early evening. 

There's a lot of things I miss living in Finland, but never have I loved a place more for enjoying the peace, the quiet, the stunning scenery and relaxing with friends and family. 

You can read about mine and Scott's previous trips to Padasjoki by Lake Paijanne here. Easter Weekend 2014, A weekend with family in Summer and Turning 27 - My Birthday Celebrations

Did you get up to anything fun over the Easter weekend, and hands up, who's sick of the sight of chocolate covered everything? 
Share:

9 comments

  1. Gorgeous photos! I visited Finland a couple of years ago but I would love to see more of the country! x

    Heather | Of Beauty & Nothingness x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Where did you travel to? I haven't seen half as much of Finland as I'd like. It's such a deceptively big country and so travelling to different places always takes forever! x

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful place to spend the Easter weekend. I know I always say it, but Finland looks like such a beautiful place.

    I just wrote a post on my Easter weekend, complete with photographs of ALL THE CHOCOLATE, while eating a Lindt bunny and right now I don't want chocolate again until Christmas.

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just realised I used beautiful twice within two sentences - clearly the chocolate is addling my brain.

      x

      Delete
    2. Step away from the chocolate!!! Haha.. I think I'm experiencing withdrawal symptoms. I get the shakes if I don't start my day with a chocolate covered krispy cake! Nightmare xx

      Delete
  3. Such a stunning scenic place. I wish places like this were only a few hours drive from me....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In that sense, I'm very lucky to live in such a naturally stunning place.. It's great to escape to the peace and quiet now and again x

      Delete
  4. Your pictures are gorgeous, i love these posts so much! You can actually see the peace through your photos, i love how tranquil places are compared to the UK! Sounds like a gorgeous easter weekend, i enjoyed eating the chocolate and lots of it too! I agree that too much of the good thing is bad after a while though haah! Hope you're well :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicole.. Finland really is a whole world of its own. It's lovely to hear from you anyway. Hope you're keeping well too xx

      Delete

© Life in Excess | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig