Tuesday 21 April 2015

Quick & Easy DIY Body Scrub

My Lush body scrub is on its last legs, (cry) and during a recent bout of nocturnal web surfing, I convinced myself that I could whip up a budget alternative using only the ingredients in my kitchen cupboard. Tapping, 'DIY Body Scrubs' into the search engine brings up a whole host of quick and easy recipes, but being the experimentalist that I am, I decided to go it alone, chuck a bunch of ingredients into a bowl, and see what I could come up with. 

DIY body scrub, DIY Lush body scrub, diy salt scrub, how to make your own body scrub

DIY body scrub, DIY Lush body scrub, diy salt scrub, how to make your own body scrub

DIY body scrub, DIY Lush body scrub, diy salt scrub, how to make your own body scrub

First up, I only made a small amount because I wasn't entirely sure how it would turn out. I didn't want to waste a tonne of ingredients on something that was going to potentially end up down the drain. Surprisingly, it turned out rather well though. The following recipe makes enough scrub for two generous, all-over body scrubbing sessions. 

You will need:
100g of Epsom Salts
Vanilla Extract
3 tbsp of Coconut Oil
2 tbsp of Lemon Juice
1 tsp of Cinnamon
A pot to store it in - preferably an air-tight container

Step 1.
If your coconut oil is solid, (as it tends to be at room temperature) heat it up in the microwave and put to one side. You want it to cool down slightly before using it.

Step 2. 
Add the Epsom salts and cinnamon to the container and mix.

Step 3.
Add a couple of drops of vanilla extract and the lemon juice and mix again.

Step 4. 
Add the coconut oil and mix thoroughly. You can add more/less coconut oil, depending on how coarse you like your scrub. More oil = less coarse and less oil = more coarse. 

Step 5. 
Massage into your skin in circular motions and then wash off in the shower. Voila, super clean, exfoliated skin. 

I typically like to apply my body scrubs to dry skin as I feel that it makes my skin feel much smoother as a result but you can also apply it to wet skin too for a more gentle scrub. The amount of oil in the scrub was perfect for me as I found it was very similar in texture to my Lush Rub Rub Rub scrub - Not too dry. The addition of the cinnamon, meant that the scrub had such a festive scent. Bit out of place in April but it made me think that this would make a lovely Christmassy scrub to use or give as a gift. 

Sciencey Bit:
So now, let's look at the ingredients that I used and why they are great to slather all over your skin.

Epsom Salts - Chemically know as magnesium sulphate, Epsom Salts have a whole host of health benefits. It's a natural exfoliant which helps to buff away dead skin cells and stimulate blood flow. It is easily absorbed into the skin, aids muscle and nerve functioning as well as reducing inflammation. You can read more about the benefits of Epsom Salts on Natural Living Ideas. If you don't have Epsom Salts to hand, you could substitute it for sea salt or sugar. 

Vanilla Extract - Not only does it smell uhhmazing, vanilla extract is also rich in antioxidants which play a key part in caring for your skin. It also has anti-aging benefits and can help reduce lines and wrinkles. 

Lemon Juice - Citric acid is another natural exfoliant and can help to gently remove dead skin cells. It can also reduce the appearance of scars and blemishes as well as a provide a natural treatment for acne. If you have particularly sensitive skin, you can leave this one out but I have fairly sensitive skin and this gave me no issues whatsoever.

Coconut Oil - The do-it-all beauty wonder product that everyone should have in their cupboards. Coconut oil is easily absorbed into the skin, and is super hydrating and moisturising, leaving skin feeling soft and smooth. It also has natural antibacterial properties too. 

Cinnamon - This gives the scrub a fabulously festive scent but also, cinnamon has anti-bacterial properties, (apparently it is used to cure ringworms!) and can soothe and help to treat dry skin. 

Other super, skin-saving ingredients you can use to make your own scrubs are; aloe vera, honey, oats, shea butter, coffee granules, lavender and so much more! You can also throw in some essential oils such as Jasmine and Ylang Ylang if you can get your hands on them. 

Next on my list is this DIY Lush Rub Rub Rub inspired scrub from The Makeup Dummy. Once my pot is empty, I'm going to fill it up with this concoction. Wish me luck! 

What are your thoughts on DIY body scrubs? Would you give making your own scrub a go?
Share:

14 comments

  1. Omgosh this sounds *divine*! Really interesting to read the properties of the ingredients too :)

    Style Sunrise ☀

    :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen.. Glad you liked it :) xxx

      Delete
  2. You're so creative! I love the idea of a Christmas scented body scrub in April haha... I love my Lush Ocean Salt scrub, but this is inspiring me to make my own! Xxx

    Amy Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.. Can't beat a bit of false festivities. You should definitely give making your own scrub a go.. it's so easy to do! xxx

      Delete
  3. Ohh this sounds so lovely, and good enough to eat in fact!

    Annabel ♥
    Mascara & Maltesers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll let you take the first taste! ;) Haha.. Thanks for commenting Annabel xxx

      Delete
  4. This sounds easy to do, I love a good scrub! Thanks for sharing! :)
    http://trend-mixblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I'm glad you enjoyed the post. x

      Delete
  5. Ah I can only imagine how amazing this smells! Love me some beauty DIY xx

    Gemma | Miss Makeup Magpie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like Christmas in a jar... Can't beat a bit of DIY ;) xxx

      Delete
  6. Personally, I would take out the epsom salts and use brown sugar, but the overall sounds lovely.

    Angie x | Chocolate & Lipstick || UK Beauty and Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brown sugar works lovely in a scrub.. You can definitely mix up ingredients to use what suits you. xxx

      Delete
  7. This is great! I've DIYed my own body scrub, but it was super simple (just coconut oil and brown sugar). I love the added benefits from the ingredients though!

    RachelShuchatMakeup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.. Even the most simple scrubs are great for your skin too. Coconut oil is such a holy grail oil. x

      Delete

© Life in Excess | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig