Thursday 23 April 2015

Lip (and Eye) News

So, yet again I treated myself to a couple more beauty bits. If truth be told, it's been a while. Okay, it probably hasn't but it sure feels like it. If there's one thing that my make up collection lacks, it's lip liners. I have a few Rimmel ones scattered here and there, but sadly enough to admit, that's about it. Armed with a reluctant boyfriend and a free, Saturday afternoon, I headed over to my local department store and scribbled every pencil product in a mile radius all over my hands and arms. These are what I walked away with:

Rimmel Provocalips swatches, Rimmel, IsaDora, Isadora swatches, Isadora review, Rimmel Provocalips review and swatches

Rimmel Provocalips swatches, Rimmel, IsaDora, Isadora swatches, Isadora review, Rimmel Provocalips review and swatches

Rimmel Provocalips swatches, Rimmel, IsaDora, Isadora swatches, Isadora review, Rimmel Provocalips review and swatches

Alright, alright, two of these aren't lip liners. Hell, one of them isn't even a lip product, but they were all bought in one batch so I thought I would stick them all in a post together. Efficiency and all that.

I'll work from left to right in the swatch picture. One purchase I hadn't expected to make was the Rimmel Provocalips 16HR Kissproof Lip Colour. I opted for shade 200 - I'll Call You, a sort of dirty pink. I picked this up and put it back, then picked it up and put it back again before finally dispatching Scott to run and pick it up again as I was just about to pay. I'd read mixed reviews about the Provocalips lip colours - the big negative being that these are a damn pain to remove. The packaging is definitely aimed at a younger audience and I don't love it, but the colour had me at hello and ultimately, I knew I needed to try it for myself.

Rimmel Provocalips swatches, Rimmel, IsaDora, Isadora swatches, Isadora review, Rimmel Provocalips review and swatches

Now, I'm not entirely sure about the 'Kissproof' but what I do know is that this lasted me an entire evening of wine guzzling, shot taking, and pillow smearing when I crashed out in bed, sans removing my make up. The lipstick was still going strong in the morning, although the same couldn't be said for my dignity.

The product works in two steps. First, you apply the lip colour, which feels sort of sticky as it begins to dry. After a couple of minutes, you follow step 2 and apply the lock and shine which works as a sort of topcoat, sealing in the colour and giving your lips a glossy sheen. I'll put it out there, it's not the most comfortable lip product to wear, but it's by no means the worst. The tacky texture remains even after the gloss has been applied, but it's not unwearable, plus I'm willing to overlook this fact for a product that really stays put. I like the Provocolips. Yes, it's tricky to remove, but I find a good oil-based cleanser does the job fine, and really, that's only a small price to pay for a long-lasting lip look.

Rimmel Provocalips swatches, Rimmel, IsaDora, Isadora swatches, Isadora review, Rimmel Provocalips review and swatches

Next up is an eye liner from a brand called IsaDora, (which makes me think of Wizadora, the kids show, every time I think about it - anyone else?) Through a spot of light research, it appears that IsaDora is available in several countries, including Ireland and the UAE surprisingly. I do believe you can pick it up online in the rest of the UK too. It's a brand that I haven't tried before but I was drawn to the lip liners and I grabbed this as an added extra, unfortunately; I'm a little disappointed. I blame myself. Swatching this under the artificial lighting, it definitely looked less shiny and more as an off-white, eye-brightening type product. The shade name, Snowblink (98) should have given it away really. It's really too silvery to be used as an everyday waterline pencil, plus it's frustratingly similar to Rimmel's Scandaleyes Liner in Silver, a pencil that I already own. The product in itself is nice, just not really what I was after or needed.

Rimmel Provocalips swatches, Rimmel, IsaDora, Isadora swatches, Isadora review, Rimmel Provocalips review and swatches

Also from IsaDora, are these two lip liners and what drew me to the brand in the first place. I hate pencily-type lip liners. You know, the ones that are hard and scratchy? These we're by far the creamiest in the drug store section, (and I should know as I swatched them all!) On the left we have 79 Subtle Nude and on the right, 52 Heather. From the swatches, you can see that they're similar (ish) in colour, with Heather having more pinkish tones to it.

I actually really like these lip liners. They're well pigmented, long lasting and apply beautifully. My only niggle is that I wish the nude shade was a touch darker, but that's not a fault of the product, just a personal preference. All in all, a great purchase.

Have you tried any products from IsaDora, and if so, is there anything that you would recommend? I have seriously been eyeing up the Twist-Up Matte Lips collection... need! Also, what are your thoughts on Rimmel's Provocalips Lip Colour, would you give it a whirl?

Share:

6 comments

  1. Love that shade of Provocalips, it's so gorgeous! :)

    Navellina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it just? I wouldn't mind picking up a few more shades too. x

      Delete
  2. I've never tried lipliners by Isadora, love the shades you picked up (:
    Nati xx
    www.simplyartdicted.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're lovely and creamy.. I just wish my local store had a bigger selection of shades x

      Delete
  3. I have one shade from the Provocalips and I think they have amazing staying power, they can be a bit tricky to apply it and then remove it, but, like you said, it's a small price to pay :) Never tried anything from Isadora, it's good to know they're good quality! x

    Mummy’s Beauty Corner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lip liners and eye pencil are the first products that I've tried but I definitely want to pick up more bits. I definitely think I'm going to pick up a couple more shades in the Provocalips x

      Delete

© Life in Excess | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig