Friday 5 September 2014

Getting 'lost' in nature...


I'm just going to put this out there that I'm not a huge fan of nature. It's a bit like saying you don't like children or small, fluffy animals... People judge you. Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike nature, I haven't really got anything against her. Well, apart from that time she drenched me in rain on my way to work and I had to spent most of my morning squelching around; but we all have our off days.

I came across this quote on Pinterest whilst searching for something mildly insulting to send to my friend, because being an asshole is the sign of a true friendship these days, but anyway, it really resonated with me. I'm sure it went somewhere along the lines of me snapping my fingers and crying out, 'Hell yeah!' whilst doing the head swerve - In other words - I liked it. 

Now I must confess that I'm not a total nature phobe. I'd go as far as to say that some aspects of it are pretty spectacular. I'll admire and appreciate its beauty as much as the next chap in hiking boots, in fact I might go as far as to take a picture or two; but ask me if I want to go trekking in a forest for several days and my answer will always be no. I think that nature is a beautiful thing but I don't have to sleep rough to be 'at one' with it. What does that even mean? I don't want to be 'at one' with anything, unless it's perhaps a cosy blanket on a rainy day... I could be very much 'at one' with that. 

You're proabably sitting at your screen right now and thinking, 'This girl's such a prima donna, who does she think she is?!' Don't hate me too much guys. I'm making a conscious effort to embrace more nature. In addition to my plastic plant, I now own a real one; and this weekend I fully intend to buy another. That is progress right there. Whether or not they will be alive come the end of the month remains to be seen; however that is neither here nor there. The point is, it's a green-fingered leap forward and you will no doubt be treated to some photographic evidence in the near future. I can sense the excitement building already.

The thing that strikes me most about nature, or the lack of it in my life, is the people who like to shame you for not getting out there and making the most of it. I recycle and I don't drop litter, give me a break. I don't need to be made to feel bad because I have lived in a stone's throw of a hill and not been overcome with the urge to climb it. I'm probably just lazy. This also applies to the travel shamers. For me, going on holiday is a time of relaxation. A chance to soak up some of the local culture; drink nice cocktails and sample some of the local food.

- 'But did you see any of Norway?' 
- What do you mean did I see it?
- 'Well did you go and see any of the nature?'
- Does it count if it's from the window of a train? 
-'No'
-Well then no, I didn't see any of Norway! 

Why exactly does wandering the streets, seeing the local sights and eating/drinking in the local cafes and bars mean that I haven't 'seen' a place? Granted, I haven't seen much of Norway, but I've seen some; and that doesn't mean I won't be back to see some more. Quit forcing your nature in my face like a pushy Sky TV sales person in a shopping centre. By all means, go and get yourself thoroughly lost in nature, (See above picture). Meanwhile, I'm just going to sit here watching Netflix and finish off my last bite of cookie dough ice cream because I mean, YUM! 

Share:

5 comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So it looks like you escaped. Girl, I feel you. I am not the "outdoorsy" type either. I live in The Bahamas - ask me the last time I went to the beach....and I don't mean looking at it from the car or the street, which is almost avoidable...but like sitting there and soaking up the rays.... :-)

    P.S. Sorry I don't know what I was doing with the first comment there :/

    Beauty Isles | An Island Girl's Beauty and Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did! I guess when you live somewhere like that you don't feel the same way about it. I'm not a lover of the beach. I love the sun but I'd much rather be by the pool instead of getting covered in sand! xxx

      Delete
  3. I am pretty much the same. I'm not a lover of nature and I'm not a big fan of the outdoors. Put me in a place where there's sun and a beach though and I'll be super happy!
    I think there's some nature that I would be in awe of such as beautiful sunsets and picturesque rivers but that's about it.
    It's ok not to be a nature obsessive! Love this post, love seeing something different xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. I love the sun and lazing about by the pool. The beach, I can give or take. I'm with you on the beautiful sunsets etc, I just don't do all this, 'being at one with nature.' I'd never survive in the Get Me Out of Here jungle. xxx

      Delete

© Life in Excess | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig