Thursday 25 September 2014

Sigma Makeup Brushes - First impressions


When it comes to creating a masterpiece, the saying goes that you're only as good as the tools you hold in your hand - and well, if this isn't a saying, then it damn well should be! You're never going to recreate the Mona Lisa with a trowel and a toothpick - unless you're a genius, in which case I'm all ears for a few tricks, and with all the will in the world, you're never going to apply your slap to the best of your ability with shoddy brushes. 

Makeup brushes are often overlooked, with people preferring to splash their cash on the main ingredients, myself included, but if you're going to shell out your hard earned cash on makeup, you want to ensure that you're reaping the rewards from a good, clean application. This is where your brushes come in. 


After doing a bit of research online, I decided to give Sigma a go. My brush collection has never been a particularly outstanding feature of my 'kit'. I own a few MAC brushes which I enjoy using, and a couple of eye shadow brushes that I picked up in Qatar which are usable and get the job done, but don't wow me. I briefly considered expanding my MAC collection; however I was swayed towards Sigma, mostly due to the flat kabuki brush, (the far right in the picture below.) I've read a number of positive reviews online regarding the flat kabuki and its ability to apply flawless foundation and I guess curiosity got the better of me. 


Here's what I ordered from left to right:

- Sigma Blending Brush E25 

- Sigma Eye Shading Brush E55 

- Sigma Large Fluff Brush E50

- Sigma Small Contour Brush F05

- Sigma Flat Top Kabuki Brush F80

So what are my initial thoughts? I haven't tried them out with actual makeup yet, and I almost feel like I don't want to because they look so perfect sitting on my dresser, untouched. Is that sad? I'm going to say yes; however they feel incredibly soft and, surprisingly, much more weighted than I anticipated, especially the two larger brushes. There's nothing worse than a flimsy feeling brush. I've also had a fair ruffle of the fibres and the fall out is minimal, in fact, I experienced greater fall out with my two large MAC brushes - but I guess time will tell with this one. 

They're good looking brushes too and it's easy to spot where Sigma got their inspiration from. Let's just say that they don't look out of place sitting next to my MAC brushes. I opted for chrome ferrules, (the metal bit that holds the fibres in places) but Sigma also offer their range of brushes in copper and 18K gold too. Fancy. Each brush features the Sigma logo engraved into the ferrule as well as along the handle; which also contains the brush name and number. Handy if you're a bit of a novice and are likely to forget what each brush is and what it should be used for. 


As it stands, the jury is out on these just yet as I'll need time to get to grips with them and see how they shape up being put to use; however first impressions have been good ones and I really hope that these brushes pull their weight. Watch this space for a more detailed review soon.

I ordered my brushes via Beauty Chamber and you can check their website out right here

Do you own any of the Sigma brush range and if so, what are your thoughts?
Share:

10 comments

  1. I own the F80 and the F82 (round top kabuki) and the F82 is amazing-I really like both brushes but the F82 is the winner for me!

    Stacey | Expat Make-Up Addict xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I shall definitely bear that in mind. I have eyes for the whole kabuki set; although I don't know what I'd do with half of them!? xxx

      Delete
  2. I'm definitely one of those people who begrudges spending £15 on a makeup brush when I could have a MAC Lipstick haha. But it's totally true that if you're applying the makeup with rubbish brushes it's just not going to look good! I'm interested to see your final verdict on these :) I'm not sure whether to go for a Sigma set or one from Nanshy

    Jasmine // Magpie Jasmine // My Blog Giveaway


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you girl! Makeup trumps brushes every time for me but these really were a necessary purchase as my brush collection was just dire. I spent quite a while reading up on different brushes before I put my order in and I'm really pleased with my choice. xxx

      Delete
  3. I've been wanting to try out the Sigma brushes for a while now, I agree if your going to spend cash on expensive makeup you want something good to apply it with too..

    www.amelialovesss.blogspot.com

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wholeheartedly agree. Good quality brushes make applying your makeup so much easier and more enjoyable than working with cheap, crappy things. I know because I've definitely been there! Haha.. I'm really enjoying these brushes so far xxx

      Delete
  4. I've never tried Sigma brushes! I think I'll go with Zoeva first but I bet they're both great alternatives to MAC ;) xx

    Gyudy's Notes Of Beauty | GIVEAWAY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard good things about Zoeva brushes too so you can't go wrong really. It's nice to have some alternatives. I love the MAC brushes that I own but it's also good to shop around for others. xxx

      Delete
  5. I haven't splurged on any Sigma Brushes as yet (I know, it's inconceivable!). But I'm interested for sure. My collection mostly features Sedona Lace, MAC, Real Techniques, ELF, Sephora and a few randoms. The Flat Top from Sigma is one I must acquire at some point, though. :-)

    Beauty Isles | An Island Girl's Beauty and Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a more interesting collection than me! The flat top kabuki is a must though. I'm absolutely loving it! xxx

      Delete

© Life in Excess | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig