Wednesday 10 September 2014

An Apple iWhat?


Unless you've been hiding under that proverbial rock, you will no doubt be aware that a certain fruity technology company have unveiled a range of new phones, (and a watch, but I'm not even going to get started on that one) and no, I'm not talking about Blackberry. 

I managed to watch snippets of the keynote last night, and by snippets I pretty much mean the entire thing.. obviously. I know, I know... It's achingly sad and I'm almost too embarrassed to admit that I actually care. I mean, I'm not entirely sure if I even do, but when everyone makes such a fuss about something it's kinda hard not to get somewhat 'involved.' 

I will refrain from going into much detail about the fact the new iPhones look too big and that if you ever own an iPhone, what could you possibly ever want with the watch? What struck me like a splash back from a public toilet flushing, was the whole concept of Apple pay. A concept that will redefine the 'way we pay' apparently. The idea was taken from trying to reinvent the wallet and the boffins at Apple created a little video to demonstrate just how lengthy a process it is to pay for something using good, old fashioned plastic. 


I'm inclined to believe that Apple are serious here. I had tears rolling down my face watching this. How awkward does the customer look? Clearly she is distraught at having to fish for her purse and stand there for what Youtube tells me is an entire 48 seconds; and I can't even acknowledge the Austin Powers style music. Groovy. 

With Apple pay, all you need to do is wave your phone in front of a little box at the check out and your shopping is paid for in a flash. Well, if you live in America and shop at one of the participating stores that is. I just can't help but feel are we really that lazy? Yes, I may moan that I can never find anything in the Mary Poppins-esque, never-ending bag of crap that I haul around with me on a regular basis; but even so, I'd still have to rummage in it to find my phone anyway, and who else would I show off my brand, spanking new purse/wallet to? I mean, I only buy these things for the cashier's benefit. Okay, not really but I do think that it's going to take a lot more than a poorly edited ad to persuade me to ditch the wallet any time soon. Sorry Apple. 

That being said, I'm probably still going to buy an iPhone 6, or in fact to put it more accurately, my fiance is probably going to buy me the iPhone 6 as I have no time for phones at all and if he isn't the one to set it up and place it in my hand ready to go, I'd probably still be sitting on the floor of my cave with two paper cups and a piece of string. He's so much better at that stuff and so I just leave him to it. 

What are your thoughts on the new iPhones and Apple pay? Is it a good idea or are you still flying the flag for the wallet? 

Image link
Share:

4 comments

  1. So glad you wrote this. I've been wondering why on earth anyone would want yet another Apple device when it's hard enough to remember to keep your iPhone, iPod, MacBook and iPad all charged and sync'd! Sheesh!

    I've gotta say though, with as painfully slow as the US has been to introduce chip and pin (um yeah, we STILL don't have it), I cannot see this Apple pay concept taking off anytime in the near future. Would be nice though! After having lived in Europe for a while and now living back in the states, I get really irritated when I have to give my card to a waiter and have them walk off to the other side of the restaurant with it.

    For the love of all things logical, when will we get chip and pin?!?!?

    V
    Life+1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, that's so annoying! The Apple watch doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. I think it seems to be very much a boy's toy... My fella is desperate for one but he's not entirely sure why!? Typical. I feel like the whole concept of Apple pay is like trying to reinvent the wheel. It's a bit pointless. xxx

      Delete
  2. I'm still using an original iphone 3gs, that's how far behind technology I am! haha :D

    I have a new outfit post up, would love to know your thoughts!

    http://electricsunrise.blogspot.co.uk/

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it calls, texts and allows you to take drunk selfies, then that's all you need! xxx

      Delete

© Life in Excess | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig