Monday 9 March 2015

Are They Worth They Hype?


In the beauty blogging world, good reviews spread like wild fire. Certain products generate such a buzz within the community that they often become hard to ignore. I'm not one for hype; usually and I often find that if something has been raved about too much, I actually feel more turned off than turned on. That being said, there are a number of 'hyped up' products that have made their way into my stash and today I'm going to be looking at whether or not they're deserving of their cult status.  


First up we have the MAC lipstick on everyone's lips, Velvet Teddy. Nigh on impossible to get hold of at times, this matte formulated must-have is at the forefront of the nude lip trend. 


A brand synonymous with quality, MAC truly hit the ball out of the park with this shade. Granted, it's not my favourite, (Mehr has my heart) but it really is a beautifully warm, nude shade. It's flattering and surprisingly easy to wear. I had my reservations when I picked this up as I wasn't sure if it would suit me but I reach for this lippie far more than any other nude shade that I own. 

Worth The Hype? - YES


Next up is the Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer. I have heard hundreds of beauty bloggers raving about this bargain buy due to the fact that it's creamy, long-lasting and provides superb coverage. 


I picked this up a couple of weeks ago in the shade Fair and I've been trying it out here and there. If truth be told, I'm still kind of on the fence with this one. Yes, it's cheap - a tiny £4 ish price tag, it does provide great coverage and works well with the rest of my make up, but there's just something about it that I can't really put my finger on. As an everyday concealer, I prefer the Maybelline FitMe concealer. The formula is better; albeit not as concealing as the Lasting Perfection and it just seems fresher and less cakey on the skin. I think the Lasting Perfection would work great on darker blemishes and problem areas, but it doesn't really win me over I'm afraid. 

Worth The Hype? -  MAYBE 
I can see why people love it, but I think it's much more suited to those who like/need a really full coverage concealer.


The next product is an absolute favourite of mine. It's the Liz Earle Cleanse & Polish Hot Cloth Cleanser. I started using this in early January and my skin has loved me ever since.

I love that you apply it to dry skin as I don't love the foaming cleanser type washes. It's so simple and easy to use, especially when I'm half-asleep in the mornings. It's great at removing make up and my skin feels spotlessly clean afterwards. 

Worth The Hype - ABSOLUTELY!


Next up, all the way from the US of A, we have the GlamGlow Supermud Clearing Treatment. The award winning mud mask that is designed to banish blackheads and leave your skin looking fabulously fresh.

I ummed and ahhed over this one because it's pricey -£40 a pot. It's a lot to pay for a face mask. Despite my hesitation, I'm really glad that I picked this one up. The results are immediately noticeable when you rinse the mask off your skin. My face felt brighter, tighter and much clearer than before using. Bonus - It doesn't leave skin feeling dry either. 

Worth The Hype - YES

On to a well known nugget from Benefit. The Porefessional Pore Minimizing Primer. I've never actually bought this product, but I always seem to end up with a steady stream of samples from the counters. 

I tried this many moons ago and ditched it in favour of Prep & Prime from MAC almost immediately. I came back to a new sample several months ago and quickly realised it was causing my skin to break out, resulting in me ditching it again. Due to the fact that it's such a well-received product, I gave it one last chance with yet another new sample in January, hoping that my skin may have been breaking out for other reasons. Quickly, the dreaded pimples returned and I decided that it was time for Porefessional and I to part ways for good. 

Worth The Hype - NO

Finally, we have the True Match Foundation from L'Oreal. L'Oreal is definitely one of the better high-street beauty brands and when it came to me looking for a relatively inexpensive every day foundation to use in place of my much loved Lancome foundation, I thought I would give this one a whirl. 

I picked out the shade C2 Rose Vanilla which is a really good match for my sun-starved skin. It applies well; however I don't like the finish it gives my slightly drier skin. I actually liked this one at first but the more I use it, the more flaws I find in it. It creases terribly under the eyes and on my forehead if I so much as raise an eyebrow. My skin is rarely flakey, yet even with a moisturiser and primer, Scott pointed out that my face looked crap. Such a charmer. For oily skin types, this probably works a treat, but for me, it's a thanks but no thanks. 
Worth The Hype - NO
  
There you have it. Please bear in mind that these are my opinions and what doesn't work for me, may very well work for you, and vice versa. Have you tried any of these hyped up beauty products? Do you rate/hate any of them? I'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments below. 
Share:

20 comments

  1. it's a shame you didn't get on with the l'oreal foundation, i was considering giving that a go as well haha, maybe it'll be okay for me as my skin is more combination than dry, and i love the look of velvet teddy but it's a shame it's always out of stock! great post :-)

    fashion, beauty and an existential crisis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bess. I just find the L'Oreal foundation really doesn't do my skin any justice; however for a different skin type it may work. I'm just not a lover. Velvet Teddy is so worth the hassle though. Thanks for commenting xxx

      Delete
  2. I also don't think the Porefessional and the Collection concealer are not worth such a hype, they're ok but not fantastic, at least for me. I wasn't also blown away by the GlamGlow mask and while it's really good I wouldn't spend that much money on it. I still haven't tried the L'Oreal True Match foundation but my skin is more on the oily side so I might like it better. x

    Mummy’s Beauty Corner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see where you're coming from with the Glam Glow mask. I've heard there's an Origins dupe for it which is waaaay cheaper so that could be worth a try instead. I've heard so many great reviews of the True Match. I was surprised when I saw how awful it looked on me. I hope you have better luck with it if you ever try it. xx

      Delete
  3. I love these kinds of posts Kirsty. Thanks for giving an honest opinion.

    I've tried the GlamGlow tingle mask (black pot) and it ruined my skin. That's the thing about beauty products though, they often respond differently to different skin types. It always helps to read someone else's evaluation of the product though.

    One product I am in LOVE with right now is the whole flipping line of Living Proof hair products. I wrote an in depth post on it a few weeks ago. I didn't wash my hair for a week #fortheblog. Lol. Great stuff though!

    Hope you're having a good Monday!

    V
    Life+1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely. Oh dear, what a shame you had such a horrible experience with one of the Glam Glow masks!! It's always worse when it disrupts the skin on your face. I've never heard of the Living Proof hair products so thanks for the recommendation. I'll need to check that one out. Anything that results in me needing to wash my hair less is a win win for me! xxx

      Delete
  4. Its such a shame the Benefit Porefessional didnt work for you it works perfect for me and i find the mac prep & prime made me breakout really bad, i also love the maybelline fit me concealer its so creamy x
    Emma | Emmys Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, that's the funny thing about beauty products.. I guess you never really know until you try it yourself eh!? The Fit Me concealer is great though. Thanks for commenting Emma xxx

      Delete
  5. The Porefessional works for so many people, i never hear bad things about it! Although for me, it does absolutely nothing for my skin!
    xprincessjas | ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think people are more inclined to write about products they love rather than hate so I guess maybe that has something to do with it? I think it really just depends on your skin and what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another. Have you tried MAC's Prep & Prime? I'd definitely recommend that. x

      Delete
  6. I love the L'oreal True Match & Collection concealer and I seriously need to try the Liz Earl cleanser, it's been sitting in my stash for ages :) Maybe you should try the L'orel True Match Lumi, I've heard a lot of ladies with dry skin love it :)

    sparklewithlaughter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funnily enough, I have the Lumi primer from L'Oreal and if I mix that with the True Match I get a slightly better result so maybe the True Match Lumi would work better for drier skin. Thank for the suggestion. I would absolutely recommend you give the Liz Earle cleanser a go. It works wonders for my skin. x

      Delete
  7. I have mixed feelings about the porefessional - like you I've tried lots of samples but I'm not really sure I like it enough even if it seems to do the job. I have a primer that's only a third of the price and works just as well so I don't think it really is worth the hype!

    vvnightingale.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I think there's a lot of silicone-based primers on the market that do exactly the same job so it's definitely worth shopping around. x

      Delete
  8. 100% agree with you on the Porefessional. It doesn't break me out, but I find makeup sits poorly on it (on me) and actually makes my pores look worse.

    http://thebeautybloss.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was so interesting to read. The only thing I've tried out of the products you talk about is the Porefessional - which I actually do like. It doesn't break me out though which probably has something to do with (and I only use it around my nose and upper cheek area). I was kind of avoiding the Liz Earle cleanser because of all of the hype and because it would probably be so difficult for me to get a hold of, but now you've got me curious again! xo

    Beauty Isles | An Island Girl's Beauty and Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimmy, I'm glad you enjoyed reading. I guess using small amounts on targeted areas reduces the risk of breakouts but I do like an all over primer for days I want my make up to last, (and stay put!) Haha. If you can get hold of the Liz Earle, I'd definitely recommend it. My skin always feels super clean and fresh after using it. I stocked up the last time I was home. x

      Delete
  10. I like the Porefessional but have not worn it frequently enough to notice if it causes any problems on my skin. Love the Liz Earle Cleanser & the glamglow mask is a HG for me. So expensive but worth the investment, as it leaves my skin feeling amazing. Mac lipsticks are a must. Although I also love more high end brands like Nars, TF, etc, Mac products are really good and much more affordable. :) x

    Renata | Speaking Beauty UK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried lipstick from NARS or Tom Ford as I struggle to get hold of them here but I do love me a bit of Dior for the higher end stuff. You can't really go too wrong with MAC though. :) xxx

      Delete

© Life in Excess | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig