Monday 23 March 2015

A Peek Inside Helsinki's Hotel Haven

Happy Monday everyone. Over the weekend, Scott and I headed over to Helsinki for a short but sweet mini-break, a chance to catch up on a spot of overdue shopping and to stuff our faces with delicious food and cocktails. We usually book our stays with the Radisson Plaza hotel in Helsinki; however we thought we would mix things up a bit this weekend and opted to stay in the small, luxury Hotel Haven.

hotel haven helsinki, helsinki hotel, flowers helsinki, hotel haven review

hotel haven, hotel haven helsinki, helsinki hotel, hotel haven review

hotel haven bed, hotel haven helsinki room, room hotel haven, bed hotel haven helsinki

room hotel haven helsinki, hotel haven, hotel haven review, hotel haven lux room

hotel haven, hotel haven bathroom, hotel haven helsinki, hotel haven helsinki review

Hotel Haven is nestled next to Helsinki's market square and backs onto Helsinki's stunning harbour. The location is perfect for exploring the city as the main shopping streets are a short stumble away; and the surrounding streets are lined with galleries and cafes. 

We booked ourselves into a Lux room for the evening, which certainly didn't disappoint. The room was enormous! It's hard to recreate the spacious feeling through photographs, but as soon as we swung the room door open, we were both taken aback with what greeted us. A desk area, a sitting area, a dining table, a huge, comfy bed and a separate toilet and bathroom... Oh, and more mirrors than any girl could possibly need - perfect! 

We arrived late lunch time on the Saturday, so we dumped our bags and headed out into town to source some food. There was a food festival taking place just a few steps from our hotel in the square; however it was freezing and we desperately wanted to find somewhere warm instead. Just when we thought Spring was around the corner, the weather takes a nose dive again! Typical. 

kamp hotel helsinki, kamp brasserie helsinki, kamp bar restaurant, kamp cafe

kamp helsinki, kamp restaurant helsinki, club sandwich helsinki, where to eat helsinki

We dived into the Kamp Brasserie for a quick bite, (and a gin and tonic). Scott ordered a burger whilst I opted for a club sandwich - minus the tomatoes. The service was good, but painstakingly slow; however we were out of the chill and fed and that's all that mattered. 

After hitting the shops, we headed back to the hotel to relax before heading out for the evening. I used up my Lush Heart Throb bubble bar with a soak in the tub, (which surprisingly turned my bath water orange, not red as expected) and had to practically tear myself off the bed and out of my pjs. It was so cold outside and so cosy in; that I was definitely tempted to order room service and stay wrapped up in bed. 

lush, lush bubble bar, lush heart throb bubble bar, lush heart throb review

Scott finally kicked my arse into gear and we headed out to Grotesk bar and grill, for food and cocktails. Look out for a full review coming soon. 

grotesk helsinki, grotesk review helsinki, grotesk menu, grotesk grill bar, grotesk restaurant helsinki

After dinner, we climbed into a taxi and made our way back to the hotel for a nightcap, and the most delicious strawberry, champagne cocktail I had ever tasted!

hotel haven bar, hotel haven cocktails, hotel haven lobby bar, hotel haven helsinki

The following morning when we came to check out, we were informed that the underground parking lift, (the one that provided access to our car) was broken and we would have to wait for the maintenance team to fix it. Despite the frustrating situation and just wanting to get home, the staff were so helpful and went out of their way to make us comfortable. In the end, they organised us a taxi home and arranged for our car to be sent to a convenient location so that it could be picked up by one of Scott's colleagues. Not the most ideal end to our stay but I guess these things happen and the way that the team handled it meant that both Scott and I agreed we'd be more than happy to stay at Hotel Haven again... We'll perhaps park our car elsewhere next time though!

Thanks for having us Hotel Haven and until next time Helsinki...
Share:

24 comments

  1. What a gorgeous little hotel! Its so modern and lovely. I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for the restaurant review! Shame about your car, but it is good that they made plans to get it back to you.

    Suitcase and Sandals Blog XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it just! The staff were lovely, so helpful. It wasn't an ideal situation but they handled it perfectly! Thanks for commenting Hannah :) xxx

      Delete
  2. That bath reminded me of a fried egg (got food on the brain)
    Anywho.... Wow, this place looks gorgeous.
    I'm very jealous indeed, your always somewhere cockatiling it up
    Love that the restaurant is called Grotesk, haha
    x tink x
    allabouttink.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, it does look like an egg - I see where you're coming from! Haha.. Got to make the most of it on the cocktail front, there aren't many places around the area we live so it's nice to get away now and again :) xxx

      Delete
  3. I think I've said this before but when you and Scott travel it definitely reminds me of the kind of trip Mr. Bear and I like to take. :-)


    Beauty Isles | An Island Girl's Beauty and Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, you should post on your trips, I'd love to read them! :) xxx

      Delete
  4. I saw your Instagram earlier and knew I had to pop by :) This sounds like the perfect mini break, I would absolutely love to visit Helsinki. Looking forward to your restaurant review! :)

    Style Sunrise ☀

    :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks Karen.. Helsinki is such a unique place. It really is great. I'll hopefully be posting my review next week so you'll have to look out for it :) xxx

      Delete
  5. The hotel looks beautiful, and it sounds like you have fun!
    RachelShuchatMakeup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rachel - We had a fab trip. :) xxx

      Delete
  6. ooh how lovely! i've been to helsinki but wish i stayed near the harbour!

    from helen at thelovecatisnc.com

    ps. win the rose gold GHD styler and hairdryer on my blog here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the first time that we've stayed near the harbour. It's gorgeous, hopefully we can stay there again when it's a bit warmer and make the most of being outdoors x

      Delete
  7. The hotel looks amazing - so luxurious. I love the grey walls. Your blog design has changed since my last visit. I really love it, it's so classy :) x

    Sinead | Dreaming Again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sinead, I'm really pleased that you like it. The hotel was gorgeous, just my kind of decor! xx

      Delete
  8. Wow the hotel looks absolutely gorgeous! I'm going on holiday to Japan and South Korea next Tuesday and can't wait!

    vvnightingale.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, that sounds amazing! I'm sure you will have so much fun! xxx

      Delete
  9. What an amazing hotel, so luxurious. Sounds like you had a lovely night x

    Beauty with charm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alina, we had a load of fun! :) xxx

      Delete
  10. This sounds like perfect night away. The hotel is so beautiful - I love the sophisticated, muted palette of colours. I would have been tempted to stay in and order room service too!

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to agree with you. The colour palette and style of the hotel room is perfect! I'll definitely be returning x

      Delete
  11. A weekend getaway sounds so nice! The hotel looks absolutely amazing, I think people should take more mini-breaks in the country they live rather than go abroad. There's so many things to see! :)x

    Anu | My life as Anu | bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anu.. I need to travel more in Finland as there's so many places I haven't been yet. I do love the choice of beautiful hotels in Helsinki though x

      Delete
  12. The hotel looks gorgeous!!! So pleased you finally got a bath too :) Helsinki has soo many luxurious hotels like this, i need to go back! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicole.. It's lovely, right! I hate that baths are so scarce in Finland. I'm glad I managed to sneak one in though. x

      Delete

© Life in Excess | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig