Saturday 28 March 2015

Fear Is A Choice


I'm featuring some inspiration from an unlikely source today. Over a year ago, Scott and I watched a film called After Earth, starring Will Smith. It has received mixed reviews, (I actually didn't think it was too bad) however the piece of it that stuck in my mind is the above quote. 

Ignoring the film and the sci-fi story line for now, the quote is the real winner here because the more you think about it, the more it actually seems to make sense. Fear is a choice. It isn't an object, a living, breathing entity or a tangible thing, it is a product of our thoughts and imagination. If we succumb to fear, we are allowing ourselves to be swayed by a series of events that may not ever happen. It very much is as the quote states; insanity. 

I wouldn't say that I'm a fearful person, but I'm a natural worrier. I'm a, 'what if' kind of person, an over thinker, overly cautious. I'm the person that imagines the plane crashing into the runway before we've even left the ground, the car veering off the road and into a ditch... I posses an over active imagination which throws out doubts like bread to the ducks, ready for me to greedily gobble up. I have questioned getting married because I couldn't bear to ever be divorced, I dream of having children someday, but I fear that I may fail as a parent. Is it worth doing if there's a risk it could go wrong? Seeing the words here, black on white, I'm aware of how ludicrous they are. These thoughts are fleeting ones, thankfully and I know deep down that life is only half-lived if we spend all our time worrying about what could be. 

Whenever I feel myself begin to worry about something, I try to remind myself that fear is a choice. It isn't knowledge of what will be, but what may be... or more importantly, what may never be

I shall leave you with the final part of the quote:

We are telling ourselves a story and that day mine changed.
Share:

6 comments

  1. This is a very timely post for me Kirsty-thank you for giving me some food for thought

    Stacey | Expat Make-Up Addict xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem darling.. Hope everything is going well on your end :) xxx

      Delete
  2. I would probably modify that quote a bit towards that not so much fear is a choice but giving in to fear is. I suffer from some phobias but i refuse them to make me miss out on anything. Unfortunately the fear part i can't seem to shake but i try to not let it rule my life :)

    http://sciencekoekje.blogspot.be

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great outlook to have on life.. Thanks for sharing your views xxx

      Delete
  3. Have you checked out "Feel the fear and do it anyway" by Susan Jeffers? This book changes completely the way you deal with anxiety and worry, worth a read! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I haven't but I'm absolutely going to check it out! Thank you for the suggestion x

      Delete

© Life in Excess | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig