Saturday 6 December 2014

Iconic Dreams & Essential Shimmers - The Eyes Have It!



Party season is fast approaching and what better way to celebrate than to dust on some shimmery eye shadow and dance all night to long to a spot of Noddy Holder? You may have caught my earlier haul post in which I gave you a sneak peek of all the latest Makeup Revolution products that I'd stocked up on. If you missed it, here's the link. Included in it were these gorgeous Redemption eye shadow palettes - priced at a super fantabulous £4 each! 

I've raved about Makeup Revolution's eye shadow palettes more times than I've had hot dinners... and of those there have been plenty. I'm always reaching for my #SELFIE palette as an everyday go-to, (you can read my review here) and I'm pleased I decided to expand my collection with these pieces. So much can be said for the quality of these shadows. They're beautifully soft, finely milled and in terms of pigmentation, they scream to the tune of a high-end product. In a word, they're pretty good. (Okay, I know that's two but who's counting?) 

Let's look at the Iconic Dreams palette first shall we?

Iconic Dreams

All 12 shades swatched in natural light

Close up
I've seen this palette popping up all over social media and I just knew I was going to have to buy it. There's an excellent mix of shades from subtle bases through to shimmering sages and browns; and as far as I can tell, there are four matte shades (L-R 1st, 3rd, 11th &12th shades) with the rest comprising of shimmers. It's a great all-rounder with shades to suit and flatter all skin tones. 

In terms of application, there's only one shade that doesn't do it for me and that's the greeny/brown, fourth from the right. It kicks up quite a lot of product when you take a brush to it and there was a lot of fall-out with it, but other than that, the rest of the palette applies like a dream. 

Next up we have the Essential Shimmers palette. 

Essential Shimmers

Swatched in natural light
This is a stunning palette of bronzey, golds and browns and one that is jam-packed full of the kind of shades that I tend to gravitate towards. The smokey-eye possibilities are endless with the Essential Shimmers palette and I've already been using it to create some gorgeous, shimmery evening looks. Now, if only my skin could stop being a grade A asshole, I'd be able to share some of these looks with you. (Damn you cold weather!) 

Every single one of these shades applies beautifully and you get great colour payoff with just a single swipe. My only niggle is that I'm 99.9% sure that I've ended up with duplicate shades across both of these palettes. It doesn't bother me in a way that it puts me off purchasing; however, greedily, I would have liked all the shades to have been different. I would have definitely been more irked had these been expensive sets, but for the price, you can't really complain. 

If I had to pick just one of these palettes to recommend to you, I don't think I could. My advice - for £8, you need both! 

Have you tried any of the Makeup Revolution eye shadow palettes and if so, what are your thoughts? 
Share:

6 comments

  1. The iconic dreams palette is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I received my Makeup Revolution order the other day and got the same Iconic Dreams palette which I mostly bought because I really wanted to experiment with green toned/olive shades and even though I like the shimmery one, I was also disappointed by the one beside it which you mention here. Other than that it's a lovely palette and such a bargain x

    Beauty with charm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's disappointing. I don't understand why the formula is so off with that shade considering that all of the other shades are much better. If it didn't create such a mess, I would definitely use it as I like the combo of the two olive/sage shades. Oh well! xxx

      Delete
  3. Everyone seems to be raving about these palettes! And I haven't given in just yet. But you know, they sound like quite the bargain and I'm really liking some of the shades. I am going to give it a go and purchase one. Essential Shimmers reminds me abit of the Urba Decay Naked 3 to be honest!

    Silke Laura xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many of the Makeup Revolution products are dupes for higher end brands, which is great if you're on a budget. The eye shadows are definitely worth owning as the quality really is good and not what you'd expect from a £4 palette. I'd be interested to see what you pick up if you make a purchase :) xxx

      Delete

© Life in Excess | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig