Thursday 4 December 2014

Wand Woes...




I'm having a major bout of mascara mixed feelings with Clinique's High Impact Extreme Volume Mascara. It does things to my lashes that I'm pretty sure are illegal in some remote parts of the U.S. It ticks all the boxes. It lengthens, thickens and with a couple of coats, gives me serious 'falsie-effect' lashes that Sesame Street's Snuffy would be proud of. So why can't I love this?

Don't get me wrong, it's a decent mascara, despite the fact that it does have a tendency to clump more often than I'd like. They say a bad workman always blames his tools, but I definitely feel that the dodgy looking brush plays its part somewhat; although I'm fairly reluctant to call this almost bristle-free applicator, a brush due to its serious lack of, well... everything.  There's not much for the mascara to cling to so it just sort of sits on the bare bones of the wand and as a result, gets kind of splodgy. With anything else I'd probably run a mile, but I can't help coming back for more. It plays with my feelings and I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a bit of a soft spot for it.

Maybe I need to give it a bit more time. Perhaps it's a grower, and I'm not ruling out the fact that maybe the mascara wand isn't the one that's a problem, there's always the possibility that it's me. I feel like the only way to clear things up is if I take a fluffy brush to it and see where we go from there.

Does anyone else have difficulty bonding with certain mascara wands, I'm surely not the only one?

Share:

12 comments

  1. sometimes it's like that--love the formula but not the wand and vice versa. i do a keep a pack of regular and nylon spooleys for that occasion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I may need to take a leaf out of your book Elle.. I feel that I could love this more with a better applicator xxx

      Delete
  2. I find that with these kind of mascara brushes you do have to let the formula dry out a little bit (which essentially is a waste as you only get 2/3 months out of a mascara anyway). Hope it will work for you perfectly soon x

    Beauty with charm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, I know that the 'drying out' process works for quite a lot of mascaras. I rediscovered my Benefit They're Real mascara a few weeks ago and the formula was way better than when I'd first bought it. I'll maybe give this one a bit more time to 'mature' haha xxx

      Delete
  3. How annoying about the rubbish brush - sounds like it would have been the perfect mascara otherwise!

    The Velvet Black // UK Style & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So annoying... Just doesn't work for me :( xxx

      Delete
  4. This reminds me of the brush on the Covergirl Bombshell...a mascara i didn't like at all - but in that case, it more of formula thing. :-)

    Beauty Isles | Blogiversary International Giveaway: Too Faced, LORAC and NYX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually quite like the formula of this mascara, I just find the applicator to be its downfall xxx

      Delete
  5. I've heard the Miss Manga mascara wand is hopeless because it bends in an odd way, but the formula is really great.

    vvnightingale.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, I've not tried that one but heard a few people rave about it. Didn't know about the dodgy wand though! xxx

      Delete
  6. It usually takes me a while to decide whether I like a mascara or not. I find the Clinique ones to be quite good, but I'm particular about the wand too. Has to be just right!

    LittleGlitter.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, maybe I need to give this a bit more time. We shall see... Thanks for commenting Tamsin xxx

      Delete

© Life in Excess | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig