Thursday 16 October 2014

If you wear make up, you're insecure!

Now, before I start receiving a hefty amount of hate mail and get trolled more than those three goats, I must point out that the title of this post is in no way my opinion. In fact, I'd almost go as far as saying I believe quite the opposite; however I had it brought up to me in conversation the other day and I've been pondering over it ever since. (See, I can be a thinker if I put my mind to it! *scoff*)

The gritty details of the story are irrelevant, but the key outcome of the conversation for me was the very idea that wearing make up is a sign of insecurity and that girls, (and guys, because we sure as hell don't discriminate here) generally tend to wear make up because they may have deep-rooted insecurities and/or feel the need to pile on the slap in order to feel good about themselves. Well in fact yes, I'm the first to admit that slathering my face in a mix of Porefessional, brow gel and Mineralize blush, (amongst many, many other things) does make me feel pretty damn good about myself, in fact I'd go as far as to say that, with a full face on, I usually feel the dog's bollocks... Does this make me a bad person, or worse still, insecure? I mean yes, some days I poke that fleshy bit that just so happens to sit atop my jeans with a perkiness that I could only dream of for my boobs, and on occasion I will mentally beat myself up over the fact that my hair is fostering a frizz that throws me back to holiday Monica and my Friends watching days, but isn't this just what we all do from time to time? 

Maybe I am insecure, maybe I just like make up, hell... Maybe the girl with the makeupless face doesn't quite have the confidence and the sureness of herself to rock a bold, red lip to the shops to buy milk? Does anyone really give a shit? Some people like Marmite and watching re-runs of Coronation Street until they're blue in the face. I'm not judging... well, not entirely

I feel like these days everything has to mean something. Why do people feel the need to psycho-analyse the crap out of someone they've maybe known for the length of a bus ride to work? I like make up because it means I can play around with how I look, more so than just mixing up my clothing on a daily basis. For me, it's like painting, I use brushes so it's technically art.. No one can argue with Van Gough; although my face has days when it's very much channeling more of a Picasso, but that's neither here nor there.

If truth be told, maybe we're all just a bunch of insecure idiots running around, trying to cope with the complexities of life and perhaps one man's make up is another man's baggy sweater or 6 inch heels? Maybe we should worry less about pointing out people's perceived insecurities and perhaps just smile and tell someone they look lovely today.
Share:

5 comments

  1. This is such a relatable post! People over analyse things too much nowadays! xxx

    Ami | perksofbeingami

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much... glad you enjoyed it! xxx

      Delete
  2. hahaha loved the post! I like makeup, it's that 2 minutes in the morning where i get to look at myself in the mirror and prepare for war (aka work, life, whatever). Doesn't mean I'm insecure (although we ALL have our days)...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed it. There are days where I genuinely feel that I put slap on my face for everyone else's benefit because my naked face looks kinda frightening!! xxx

      Delete
  3. Oh Kirsty, I absolutely love this post! It seems there is always reason to criticize someone over anything these days. So what if I want to wear lipstick to feel pretty. That's like saying people need deodorant because they smell! I say- wear/ dress/ act whatever way makes you comfortable!

    I also wanted to commend you on your writing style. You are just so down-to-earth and relatable, and you've always got the best post ideas! Well done!

    Have a great day
    Megan- Room With a Bloom

    ReplyDelete

© Life in Excess | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig