Tuesday 21 October 2014

Sigma Makeup Brushes - Review


A few weeks ago, I gave my first impressions on the selection of Sigma makeup brushes that I ordered via Beauty Chamber. You can read my first impression post right here

Today, I am going to give you a much more detailed review of each brush and my overall thoughts on the Sigma range. It's going to be a long one so without further ado, let's get going.



From left to right:

- Sigma Blending Brush E25 
- Sigma Eye Shading Brush E55 
- Sigma Large Fluff Brush E50
- Sigma Small Contour Brush F05
- Sigma Flat Top Kabuki Brush F80

I will start by reviewing the face brushes and then I will look at the brushes I use for applying my eye makeup.

Sigma Flat Top Kabuki Brush - F80




This was the brush that first caught my attention and made me sit up and notice the Sigma range. I'd seen a few reviews of this brush dotted around and it's safe to say that curiosity got the better of me. Used to apply liquid and cream foundations, the F80's dense, flat fibres are perfect for dabbing foundation onto the face and using circular motions, it blends products into the skin to give a flawless finish. Since using the F80, I'm inclined to bin my flat foundation brush - seriously, because I honestly can't imagine applying my base any other way. 

The synthetic fibres are soft, yet sturdy and the brush maintains it shape, even after cleaning. The handle of the Flat Top Kabuki is shorter and chunkier than the other brushes I picked up, and this makes for a good grip and ease of use. 

I have to admit, I love this brush. It's what I expected and then so much more. Best of all, it's seriously foolproof. An absolute must buy if you fancy trying out any of the Sigma range. 

Sigma Small Contour Brush F05





I have to admit, I toyed between the Small Contour brush and the F40 - The Large Angled Contour brush, and to be honest, I kind of regret going for the smaller option. It's not too dissimilar to the MAC Blush Brush (116) that I own, only the Sigma brush has shorter bristles and is slightly smaller. 

I feel that it's a bit on the small side for me in terms of what I would like for a contour brush; however I have been using it to apply blusher and occasionally to apply powder highlighters. A good quality brush; although it's not what I had in mind when I ordered it. If you're toying between this and the F40, I'd definitely opt for the larger brush.

Sigma Eye Shading Brush E55



Now we move onto the eye brushes. First up is the E55 Eye Shading brush. The short fibres are super soft and make applying eye shadow a dream. I absolutely love this brush!

The flat, rounded shape - bit of an oxymoron - is perfect for applying a heavy dose of shadow across the lids and under the arch of the brow. Dense fibres means this brush picks up a lot of product with minimal fall out and it's also pretty nifty when it comes to blending too. I've only used this brush with powder formulas; although I don't see why it wouldn't work with cream formulas also. 

A great base shadow brush; but I'd use something a touch smaller for more precise applications such as along the lash line or in the crease. 

Sigma Blending Brush E25





Next up is the E25 Blending Brush and another brush I'm loving from my Sigma set. The long, tapered fibres are silky soft yet still firm enough to be useful. The brush can be used for controlled blending of eye shadows on the lid and buffs away any harsh lines that may appear when applying two or more different shadow shades. I use it in a sweeping motion through the crease and gently blend outwards over my lids for a seamless finish.

This brush does exactly what it says on the tin and it's been my go-to brush for blending my eye make up since purchasing it. It also picks up colour nicely and I often use it to apply additional shadow during the blending process. I definitely recommend picking this one up!

Sigma Large Fluff Brush E50




Finally, we've got the Large Fluff Brush. This is actually much chunkier than it looks and I was quite surprised when it arrived as I was expecting it to be much smaller. Controlled highlighting is the 'official' function of this brush but when I used it to apply my highlighter, I found that it just didn't impress me. Maybe I'm using it wrong, I don't know, but it feels sort of odd to use - it's too big to be used on the eyes and too small, (for me) to be used on the cheeks etc.

 This brush kind of makes me feel a bit meh. I don't love it and I don't hate it, but to be honest, I don't really use it and I wish I'd picked up something else instead of this. That being said, the bristles are really full and soft and I can imagine this brush blends beautifully - probably in the hands of someone who knows what to do with it!


There we have it folks! Apologies for the sheer length of this post, I'm sure that if you made it this far you're probably going to need a break from your screen right about now so I'll wrap this up quickly. I purchased my brushes from the Beauty Chamber website as the shipping fees from the Sigma site (US based) were eye-watering! I'd highly recommend them as delivery was fast and they seem to have the largest stock/range of brushes than the other official U.K. Sigma stockists, and we all know a girl likes choices... 

Any thoughts on these? Have you tried any of the Sigma make up brushes before and/or what are your all-time favourite make up brushes?
Share:

8 comments

  1. I love the look of these brushes, they are so similar to MAC in their quality from what I can see. The large fluff brush is actually an odd looking one as the size doesnt really seem to fit anywhere. I guess I would have to have it in my hands to be able to really tell. Maybe you could watch a tutorial online and get some ideas on using it :D x

    www.beautywithcharm.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea, I'll definitely have to hunt out a tutorial or two to help me figure out what to do with it!! You're right in that they look and feel so similar to MAC brushes. I have a couple of MAC brushes and these certainly don't look out of place sitting next to them! They're also cheaper which is always a bonus!! xxx

      Delete
  2. Such a lovely brush set! I have a few brushes from Sigma and I love them. Really good quality. I've bought some for my sister as well. But I have to admit... since using Zoeva. I haven't looked back, as they are as good and cheaper. :)

    Speaking Beauty UK | Nars, Urban Decay, YSL GIVEAWAY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, I've heard a lot about Zoeva but with you saying that they're just as good as the Sigma brushes I'm even more keen to try them now! xxx

      Delete
  3. These brushes look gorgeous! I'm dying to buy some new brushes soon, I might have to pick between these and Zoeva now! xxx

    Ami | perksofbeingami

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tough decision... I'll be keeping an eye out for a blog post when you decide! ;) xxx

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the review, I keep seeing sigma everywhere and had no idea how each of the brushes were ! This is super helpful

    ReplyDelete

© Life in Excess | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig