Thursday 15 January 2015

The NARS that almost never was...


I'm still not entirely on speaking terms with NARS just yet; however my Domination Cheek Palette finally arrived and it's pretty, which makes me all confused about my feelings. 




You're probably wondering what on Earth I am talking about. Let me explain. My very lovely fiance proved that he does in fact listen to me on occasion and ordered me my very first NARS for Christmas. Yep, that's right, NARS noob over here. I'd been saying that I'd wanted to try the brand for ages and he aimed to deliver; however, the delivery part was where things got a bit sticky. We're talking around FIVE, WHOLE WEEKS guys. It's safe to say, it never arrived in time for Christmas and with the NARS customer service team being about as useful as a paper hat on a windy day, I'm actually suprised it made it into my life at all. Not the best first impression I must say. 

Bad feelings aside, the minute I held that rubberised, palette in my hand, I got a bit of a tingle, because well, NARS... 



The palette consists of four blush/contouring products. From left to right we have; Devotee - a frosty, pinkish toned highlighter, Orgasm - a peachy pink with a delicate gold shimmer, Laguna - a medium toned bronzer with an ever so slight shimmer, and Mistinguette - a very cool, matte pink. 

Every beauty blogger and their pet dog has raved about the Orgasm blusher and so I was most excited to try this shade out. It's safe to say, I wasn't disappointed. This was the shade I thought I would love most out of this palette and I was right. It's semi-sheer, yet buildable which is perfect for a more natural looking hint of colour. I've dipped in and out of using the highlighter. It's nice and subtle which lends itself for day time and the bronzer is on the right side of warm for me. I've been using it with a pretty light hand though. The only shade I haven't come around to is Mistinguette. I got as far as swatching it and then chickened out. It's a touch on the cool side for me; however I'm going to bite the bullet and give it a bash pretty soon. Watch this space. 

My only gripe with this product, if you ignore the dodgy delivery issue, is the fact that, whilst the larger pans are fine, the smaller ones, (Devotee and Mistinguette) aren't a great size for getting your blush brush in for a good swish. I've occasionally ended up picking up some of the other shades as well which is a bit frustrating. Visually, it does look great; although I'm not certain it's the most practical design that they could have come up with. 

What are your thoughts on the NARS Domination Cheek palette? Have you sampled any of the shades before or do you have any brand favourites that you can't live without?
Share:

14 comments

  1. This looks lovely. I agree that the sizes of the two smaller ones are a bit awkward!

    vvnightingale.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely... It makes it quite tricky to use which is a shame xxx

      Delete
  2. I've got virtual domination palette and also killing me softly. All of the blush shades I've tried have been great and really workable, but I completely agree that sometimes the position and size of the blush pans don't make them the easiest thing to use! It's s shame about the delivery though, I have to say they've always been good when I've ordered in the past.

    Sammy xo.

    littlefickleblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Virtual Domination looks amazing also. It's great that you've always had good service. Perhaps I got them on several bad days haha! xxx

      Delete
  3. I have not seen this palette anywhere (I don't think), but it's beautiful! I agree the small pans have an odd size and shape. Looks like it'd be difficult to get the brush in. Nars has these "crazy" design ideas every now and then. But in the end, seems like a nice way to try their products. I got the Virtual Domination palette and I'm really enjoying it. :) x

    Renata | Speaking Beauty UK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Visually, their products and packaging are spot on. I love the way this palette looks, but it is a pain in the ass to use. I'm really getting hooked on the highlighter and crave a bigger pan. The Virtual Domination palette looks so beautiful. Lucky girl! xxx

      Delete
  4. The bronzer looks gorgeous. I hate it when the customer service team are useless it really does put you off the brand x
    Emma | Emmys Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know... I don't think i'll order directly from NARS again. Luckily there's several more reliable stockists I can use! Such a shame though xxx

      Delete
  5. I had no idea this palette even existed but it looks gorgeous and I really like the variety of shades within. I can understand how the blushes can be incovinient as the pans are so narrow. Shame about the delivery also, it would definitely put me off x

    Beauty with charm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would seem you're not the only one. I hadn't heard of it either so goodness knows how the bf came across it haha! xxx

      Delete
  6. I didn't even know this existed! The little thin pans weren't thought out well though! That highlight looks so much nicer than the one available in the other palette, it has just the right amount of shine. The Laguna bronzer is great for contouring too x

    Through New Eyes | Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thin pans were definitely not thought out at all. The highlighter is really growing on me more and more every time I use it. I love it!! I think I will probably purchase the full size when this one runs out. xxx

      Delete
  7. First off can I say that I love these pictures, so clear and they really stand out.

    I can’t believe it took that long to be delivered, that’s pretty bad any time of the year but at Christmas when someone has put the thought and effort in for you a gift it’s horrible. My favourite blush of theirs is Dolce Vita, it’s always with me.

    Hayley @ Tea Party Beauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hayley.. I know, the delivery situation was just awful! I could have let it go if it wasn't for how terrible they were after that. Ignoring my messages etc. It's not on. The Dolce Vita blush looks right up my street though. I love more muted shades. xxx

      Delete

© Life in Excess | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig